Sunday, October 31, 2010

Pasta with Corn, Burrata, Pancetta and Chilies

Everything about this pasta screams SPRING! It's in the middle of winter and I'm making a pasta that is vibrant with color and delicate in taste - in other words, perfect. 
In the midst of winter, this pasta was like a bright shining light. I used frozen corn since corn isn't in its peak right now and it still tasted fantastic. The combination of basil, corn and pancetta was so freaking delicious. Sadly, I couldn't find burrata! I normally get it from Trader Joes but I think they stopped carrying it. I love Trader Joes but the most frustrating thing about that place is that once you bond with one of their products, they'll remove it from their stock!
Anyways this pasta is amazing! Light, fresh, and delicious. 
Pasta with Corn, Burrata, Pancetta and Chilies
Yields: about 4 servings
Original recipe here.

1/2 lb. dried or fresh wide noodles, like pappardelle or fettuccine
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, plus more to garnish
1/4 tsp. sea salt, plus more to season
extra virgin olive oil
1/4 lb. pancetta
2 ears of corn, kernels removed
4 dried red chilies, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup Parmigiana Reggiano, shredded
1/4 lb. burrata

Cook the pasta according to the directions, to al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. While the pasta is cooking, prepare the breadcrumbs and sauce. For the breadcrumbs, place the panko, basil, and salt in a food processor and grind until small. Drizzle the breadcrumbs with 1 tbsn. of olive oil and pulse until well incorporated. Using a non-stick skillet, toast the breadcrumbs until lightly browned and dry, set aside. To make the sauce, heat up a large skillet and add 2 tbsn. of olive oil. Add the pancetta and cook for 2 minutes or until slightly caramelized. Add the corn and chilies to the skillet and cook on medium heat for 5 - 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Deglaze the pan with some of the cooking liquid if necessary. Finally, turn off the heat and add the pasta, cheese and cooking liquid to the skillet. Combine well using tongs. Top with a generous dusting of breadcrumbs and several hunks of the burrata. Garnish with torn basil leaves.

13 comments:

  1. I've never heard of burrata before but everything else in this dish sounds perfect to me. I'll have to hunt down some burrata and make this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I have never heard of burrata either. Pasta recipe sounds really good, and looks like a winner for dinner, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous! and the photos too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude! This pasta TOTALLY RULES! So glad you loved it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love spring dishes in fall/cold time! I do not know what Burrata is, so I have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. burrata anything is right up my alley. this looks delicious and I cant wait to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious looking dish. But, what the hell is Burrata?

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey everyone! burrata is an italian cheese that is made of mozzarella stuffed with a soft filling of cream - its not very well known, which is why i had a hard time finding it :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was loving the burrata from Trader Joe's as well, I'm bummed they stopped carrying it. Maybe it was a seasonal item? I don't know why they would pull it from the shelves it was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so simple! I am making it tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous photos again. This looks quick and delicious.

    ReplyDelete