Sunday, December 2, 2007

About

Hello! I'm Michelle. (See, that's me below there!)
(photo by cherish chen)

About me.
I'm Vietnamese.
I think honesty in friendship is most important.
I think honesty in general is most important.
Respect is second in line.
My feet are pretty cute, they've taken a beating, but they're still fiiiine.
I think Joseph Gordon Levitt and James Franco are just the bee's knees.
When it's raining, you can find me joyously running through it.
You will find me constantly eating. 
I daydream constantly of travel.
Sloths are my spirit animal... you know, if I believed in spirit animals.
Plane rides make me happy, cause then I know that adventure is just around the bend.
I wish I could afford everything at Madewell.
I want to be Martha Stewart (not in the commit fraud kind of way, but the fabulous homemaker-baker-entrepreneur kind of way).
I love wearing black.
I'm highly attracted to people who enjoy food as much as I do. 
I use a mac and will never, ever go back.
I literally never stress... ever.
Hiking is my favorite pastime.
I'm absolutely enamored with tea.
Love is confusing with people, it's easy with inanimate things.
Except family, with them, my love is endless and enduring.
I've never broken a bone nor gotten a stitch.
I live for cold weather, although I only do well in temperate weather.
Writing lists helps me keep sane.
I like to people watch (in a non-creepy way).
I try to keep an open mind as much as possible.
The trick is to live without an answer, I think...
Sparklers, intense laughs, and a cold beer make me happy.
My favorite TV show is Law and Order: SVU. This either makes me deranged or super cool... I haven't decided.
I have a baby blanket, it's slowly coming apart; this makes me very sad.
I am weird, but that's okay by me.


About this blog.
I used to think baking meant buying a box of Funfetti cake mix, and though I still do love my Funfetti, baking is something entirely different to me now (for the better of course)! While this blog is mainly focused on my cooking and baking, it also has a little bit of fashion, art, photography, music, and love thrown in, all for good measure of course (and maybe a little bit for my own pleasure too).

About the photos.
I shoot with a Canon EOS 30D, equipped with a 50mm f 1.8 lens (basically the only one I could afford at the moment), now concurrently with a 35mm f 2.0. Don't be fooled by it's low price though! This lens takes absolutely amazing pictures in low light and is great for portraits or food photography. I love my camera immensely, perhaps with more love than an inanimate object should receive. I bought this camera with my hard earned money. Yes, it was quite expensive, but I like to think of it as an investment, and it sure has served me well. I hope you do wander and stay a while!


Awards/ Features.
Une-deux senses has been awarded a Kreativ Blogger Award and a Lovely Blog Award and has also been featured in Gourmet Live, Serious Eats, Saveur, Foodista, The Kitchn, Society Social, Anthology Magazine, and the Food News Journal (1) (2) (3) (4). It can be seen in the pages of TastespottingFoodgawker, and Pinterest frequently.

43 comments:

  1. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your blog! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle, I just found your site (through Yelp) after reading your bit on Anepalco's Cafe! I think we have similar taste in food and music and whatnots.

    Here's a link to my site...
    http://caffeine-headache.net/

    I think we live in the same city. Email me if you'd tryout some new restaurants or something!

    Also, this coming thursday this local band is playing a free show at Chapman University...
    http://www.myspace.com/fadedpaperfigures

    -Jay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle!

    I wanted to let you know that our website, FoodieView (www.foodieview.com) recently launched a new feature, Foodie Views of the Day (www.foodieview.com/views/). The idea is to provide an alternative forum where foodies can share their culinary photography talents. The feature also allows your readers to vote on their favorite pictures.

    We would really love showcase some of your photos on Foodie Views of the Day. Please let us know if you are comfortable with our use of the photos from Une-Deux Senses. Additionally, if you have photos to which you are particularly partial, or which you would especially like to show off, please feel free to send them to me or to submit them directly to the site by following this link: http://www.foodieview.com/views/submit_info.jsp

    Thank you!
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hai Michelle!!

    Such a refreshing blog! And inspiring as well..

    I just started out my blog, and am in need to encourage myself constantly to keep writing and updating it.. :)

    I used to bake a lot, but since I got back to Indonesia, haven't done it again for quite some time. Reading your blog pumps up my spirit to start doing it again!!

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michelle,
    Amazing food and photo styling. I thought it was a professional food site then I found out is was done by you...not Martha Stewart! Beautiful presentations and great instructions. God Bless you and Chocolate. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I made one of your recipes and I was wondering if I could post it on my blog? Let me know, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute you are. I love your blog. I've added to you my blog roll. I hope thats ok =)

    www.bokehbunny.com

    im just startin and its kinda shabby..don't mind the mess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi michelle, i found your blog after you left a comment on the saigon street food posting. thanks for stopping by, your blog is very well-manicured and the photos are clean. - )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I'm Michelle, I'm Vietnamese and I think I cam relate to a lot of this stuff on your about page. it's a small world... wow. this is almost a bit scary.
    I love your blog though, your photos and your happy writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this about me, and your pictures are so delightful it makes me envious of your wonderful camera.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Helloo..i just found you via Mint Design Blog after Ellie posted your recipe for the fruit spring rolls. So glad to find another Vietnamese blogger of pretty and delicious things. =)

    Just wanted to say I love your blog and photos and am now following you in a non-stalker kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey Michelle! amazing blog, your recipes all look awesome and the photography's inspirational! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. you are TOO cute! love this blog, keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely blog you have. Those f/1.8 lenses are truly wonderful! I have a 50mm f/1.4 that I truly adore! Looking forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an amazing blog!! Glad I came across it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, awesome clothes and awesome food, I'm in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  17. is this also you? http://michelle-esque.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ Anonymous: no that is not my site, though it is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow! what a coincidence. you guys have the same first+last name! and similar blog (fashion,food) =D

    ReplyDelete
  20. YOUR SITE IS SO COOL!!!! (=

    ReplyDelete
  21. thank you for such a cute and inspiring blog!! i always get the urge to create something =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. i absolutely love your photography and all your yummy looking recipes! I have printed 2 to try this weekend...you are quite talented, you should work for a food magazine :-)

    i have recommended your blog to many others

    peace

    ReplyDelete
  23. woww just came across ur blog from @storyofbing.
    ur pictures are soo captivating!!
    added you to my reader
    can't wait to read some more!

    ReplyDelete
  24. i can't really express how much i admire your blog. i came across it looking for macaron recipes and i have to say, all your other food + fashion + photos are really cool. keep it up! cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi! Love your blog because it has been sooo helpful and you are just too cute for words! I found your place by searching for some Red Velvet Cupcakes to try and take to work - they were AWESOME! Everyone raved over them and I had to give the credit to you - it was my first attempt with Red Velvet anything! Thanx, I'm a fan for life!!! *S*

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nice blog, will definitely be back here :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. hi! though this is my first comment ever, i've been reading your blog for quite some time and i love, love, love what you've done here! keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello, just thought I HAD to comment because reading through your about section was like reading a description of myself! I think am the same in 29 out of 30 facts - the one being I am not vietnamese... but i LOOVE travel, joseph gordan-levitt and jame franco are my weaknesses, i have an obsession with tea (and stumbled onto your blog while looking for recipes to use my matcha in), SVU is my favourite show and i recently became obsessed with sloths after seeing some cute pictures. ANYHOW, i just thoughtthat was really freaky and would very much try to meet you but I live down under in OZ so I don't see that happeneing.

    Anyway, keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. @ Liv: Seriously can Joseph and James BE any more cute?! And I watch SVU religiously... it's almost sick haha! If you ever come to CA give me an email :) I'd love to meet my down under twin!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just discovered your wonderful blog today. It's been a while since I've discovered one quite so swoony and gasp-worthy! So looking forward to visiting here each day!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi, Michelle!

    I've been reading your blog for a while now, but I only just officially started 'following' you today (as well as just read this 'About' page).

    Your blog is so inspiring--it actually helped to inspire my own blog that I started a month or so ago(http://tomfooleryandbright.blogspot.com/). I actually have you linked as one of my favourite blogs, hope you don't mind!

    After reading your '30 facts', I realized that you and I (freakishly) have a lot in common. I love to bake, especially cupcakes--I'm trying to start a small business actually. I love James Franco, also. Food, travel, Anthropologie--yes please! And Martha Stewart is my idol. Ha ha.

    Anyway, thanks again for all you do over here at une-deux senses and keep up the great work!

    PS. I love any Asian or Asian-inspired recipes and see that you have a few on your recipe list--om nom nom. Do you have a recipe for Vietnamese pho that you like? I have one from a website that I've made a few times now, but just thought I'd see if you had any up your sleeve!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Michelle,

    Just a quick comment to compliment you on your blog, you've got lots of great content. I've been looking for the marinade and sauce for the Vietnamese Pork, found and made yours, yum! I normally order this dish at a restaurant in my town but served with rice.

    I have a blog on recipe and wine reviews, recipes of my own or ones I've tried: http://recipe-and-wine-reviews.worksavvyfreedom.com

    Any objections to me posting your marinade and sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  33. hi there!

    i just come across your blog. you've been doing great jobs both baking ideas & photography. may i share some of your recipes on fb and real baking. keep it up!

    cheers,

    seni ;)

    ReplyDelete
  34. @ Anonymous: Hi thanks so much for the kind words! You can definitely share my recipes on your facebook, they were meant to be shared :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great blog! I read it almost daily. Just wanted to say hi and keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. You are adorable!

    I love the smell of rain too!
    Be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love to see how creative and original you are in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  38. hello, greetings from hong kong! i love your blog and you inspired me to start a blog like yours someday! i love food (absolutely!!) and photography and music and dance and basically art(:

    ReplyDelete