Monday, December 14, 2009

Mint Chocolate Puddles

I'm not a cookie baker. I like to bake everything else, and hey, I'll even try a yeasted thing every now and then but cookies? Not my forte. Why you may ask? I don't really know but for me, cookies are way too easy to ruin. They can burn within a second, the textures are harder to get right, they're just a tough cookie (no pun intended, ok maybe a little)!
I only have two cookies that I really love and can actually do well, which are these and these. But in the spirit of the holidays, cookies are just about the best thing to give and I figured I should give them another chance; I mean if not at Christmastime? Then when else (Did you notice the reference to Love Actually!) ?
Anyways, I've seen these cookies for a while and they've always been on my 'to do' list and I finally decided to give them a try. And guess what? I wasn't disappointed! These guys cook up pretty fast, so I over-baked a few, but just make sure to pull them out when they look puffy and fragile because once they cool down, they'll be firm enough. AND make sure to refrigerate them as per directions. I got a little impatient and baked them anyways and I think that was the reason for my flat cookies. BUT they were delicious nonetheless. Super chocolate-y, rich but not too rich and of course, loved the mint! Perfect when warm with a cup of milk!

Chocolate Mint Puddle Cookies

Yields: 35 - 40 cookies

Original Recipe can be found here.


Printable Recipe


12 tbsn. butter

1 1/2 cups brown sugar

2 tbsn. water

2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

2 eggs

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1 1/4 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

3 packages (4.5 oz.) Andes mints


In a saucepan over medium heat, cook the sugar, butter and water, stirring occasionally until melted. Remove from heat, stir in chocolate chips until melted, set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Pour chocolate mixture into a large bowl and beat in eggs, one at a time. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir into the chocolate mixture. Cover and refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease cookie sheets. Roll cookie dough into walnut sized calls and place 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes, be careful not to over bake. When cookies come out of oven, press one mint into the top of each cookie, let sit for 1 minute, then after softened, swirl with the back of a spoon to make a patter with the green filling of the mint wafer.


Close up!

Happy holidays everyone!

8 comments:

  1. im confused...the recipe calls for one egg but in step 3 it says "...beat in eggs, one at a time". is there supposed to be more eggs or is that just a typo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yum, these look amazing! Can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't bake cookies either but it's because I think they are more work than they are worth. As you mentioned they can go wrong pretty easily. Kudos to you for baking up a batch. While I'm not crazy about chocolate I know quite a few people that would love a batch of those. Plus they have an awesome name!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great! These are some of my favorites!

    -Amy
    www.singforyoursupperblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look heavenly! I love chocolate + mint! xo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look like they turned out wonderfully, Michelle! I agree that cookies can be a bit finicky and unpredictable but plenty of other sweets scare me more (let's say, macarons or chiffon cake). Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. just made these and they were still good, but i realized there are a few typos on the printable version...the eggs and flour...i didn't put in enough flour! but still yummy, thanks!

    ReplyDelete