Friday, December 4, 2009

Basil Limeades/ Soda Chanh

This recipe is a twist on the traditional Vietnamese drink called Soda Chanh, which is essentially a carbonated lime-ade. At the restaurant I work at, they add some torn basil leaves on request and it's really delicious.

Don't be thrown off for a loop! I was kind of shocked about the idea too... basil in my lemonade?! Sounds kinda weird to me, but I was intrigued, took a sip and what do you know? I actually liked it, I really, really liked it! I think you guys will like it too! The basil flavor is just a subtle note in the background that adds great depth in flavor. Mint would work well as too, I'll have to try that next time. I love this drink especially in Summer because it's so refreshing but since it's never quite Winter in California, I can enjoy this baby all year round!
Basil Limeades
Yields: about 4 servings


For the simple syrup:
1 part water
1 part sugar

1 part simple syrup (1/2 cup)
1 part fresh lime juice (1/2 cup)
5 - 6 parts carbonated water (2 1/2 - 3 cups)
small bunch of basil leaves, torn

To make the simple syrup, combine the water and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until all of the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and store in a container (simple syrup is essentially a 1:1 ratio of water to sugar, so you can make as much or as little as you want). To make the limeades, mix everything together. Serve over ice and enjoy!

Sweet simplicity at its best:

6 comments:

  1. Oh goodness. I heart Basil and I heart Lime! These are too cute. Another of your recipes I will be trying! Happy weekend. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use basil in cocktail quite a lot. Especially Thai basil. This is beautiful. I just know it. GREG

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a great idea! gorgeous photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds wonderfully refreshing. Those glasses are very cute as well.

    ReplyDelete