Sunday, December 6, 2009

Coconut Mochi Cake

This summer I attended a little party. Everyone brought a little something to contribute. I brought my Ferrero Rocher cupcakes and Empanadas, which were delish but not as delish as this Mochi cake. Of course I knew what mochi was, but mochi cake!? I've never tried it or even heard of such a thing before! Well thank gosh I did because it's now one of my favorite cakes ever!
If you've never tried mochi or mochi cake, it has a pleasantly chewy and dense texture. I warn you, to some, this might seem odd, but to me it's utterly delicious. Well I begged my friend for the recipe and here it is, so enjoy everyone! I knew I would have to, have to make this cake for my family on Thanksgiving and I guess you're wondering WHY on Thanksgiving? Seems odd doesn't it?
Well my family hates, loathes, protests overly-sweet baked goods. Never will I ever make them a cupcake or other baked goods for them! Well I was right, this cake was perfectly sweet but not overly so. The texture really resembles some Vietnamese bakery goods as well so I knew that that would also be familiar to them. Anyways, I love this cake! Plus, did I mention how easy it is?! Just mix and bake, and you're done folks!

Mochi Cake

Yields: 1 large bundt cake

Original recipe from Kim, my friend.


Printable Recipe


1 stick butter, melted

2 tsp. vanilla

2 cups sugar

4 eggs, beaten (or 3, if you prefer a more dense cake)

2 tsp. baking powder

1 16 oz. box Mochiko flour

1 12 oz. can evaporated milk

1/2 cup water

1 13.5 oz. can coconut milk


Mix everything together and put in a greased baking pan. Put in a 350 F oven for an hour, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely then enjoy.


Mmmmm my favorite!

13 comments:

  1. I love mochi cakes, but I've never tried making it in a bundt pan before! This looks beautiful. I'm going to try making mine in a bundt pan next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! The bundt pan is a fantastic touch. I wante to try this next time.

    I have made something very similar in a rectangular pan- with the plain bag of glutinous rice flour instead and paired downed ingredients list.

    Thank you for your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks very interesting, and those ferrero rocher cupcakes look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i adore mochi and i can't wait to try this cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! And what a beautiful pattern from the pan. I made a blueberry version without coconut milk from Food Librarian (I think). We all loved it, including many non-Asian coworkers and another perk is that it's gluten-free too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm due for baking a cake soon...and this looks like it's ta die for!! *tee hee*

    Will let you know how it turns out when I get around to making it!! Thanks for sharing!

    fyi: I linked this post to my blog :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks amazing! I had a friend who made coconut mochi cakes all the time and I was super excited to make this one. Unfortunately after baking for over an hour the tooth pick never came out completely clean and the outside is way darker than the one if your photos. Any tips you can give?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where do you buy Mochiko flour??

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Em: I buy it from Asian markets such as H mart, but I've actually seen it at Albertsons in the 'Asian/ International' aisle!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Safeway, QFC...most major stores sell it (at least in Seattle)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pls advise the weight of one stick of butter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you take it out of the of the bundt to cool?

    ReplyDelete