Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Pumpkin Cheesecake

Mmmm pumpkin cheesecake.
I've been wanting to make this for so longggg and what better time than Thanksgiving itself?
I tried cutting down the sugar on this recipe because I kept seeing various recipes that called for a range of 1/2 cups to 2 whole cups of sugar in similar recipes and I was so confused! How could one recipe have 1/2 a cup and another one have 2 cups with the same amount of 4 blocks of cream cheese? I figured I would compromise and use 1 1/2 cups of sugar, which sounded reasonable.

Results? Although the cheesecake was good it wasn't great. The pumpkin flavor was just a bit lacking and I think it's because of the missing sugar. The original recipe is below, 2 cups and all so I suggest using the full amount so that the sugar can bring out the full pumpkin flavor. But I really did love the pepita brittle on top of this cheesecake! A nice added layer of texture (you can find the recipe here).
A mini cheesecake fresh out of the oven (although it looks pretty big here huh?):
Pumpkin Cheesecake

Yields: 2 large cheesecakes

Slightly adapted from this recipe, which can be found here.


Printable Recipe


For the filling:

4 8oz. packages cream cheese

2 cups sugar

3 tbsn. flour

2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

1/4 tsp. salt

1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree

5 large eggs

1 tbsn. vanilla


For the crust:

1 cup pecans

2 cup graham cracker crumbs

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted


To make the crust, preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a 2 9-inch diameter springform pan with nonstick spray. Grind the cookie crumbs, pecans, and brown sugar until finely ground. Add butter and process to blend. Split the mixture evenly between each pan and press the crust into the bottoms. Bake until set and lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Cool completely.


Keep oven at 350 F for the pie. Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in pumpkin, add eggs 1 at a time, beating on low speed to incorporate after each addition. Add flour, spice and salt and beat to blend. Beat in vanilla. Transfer filling to cooled crust. Bake until filling is just set in the center and edges begin to crack (filling will move slightly when pan is gently shaken), about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Cool 1 hour. Run knife around sides of pan to release the cheesecake. Chill cheesecake uncovered in pan overnight.


9 comments:

  1. These look just delicious. I would never have thought of pumpkin cheesecake. Love the little piping. So neat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry the flavor didn't come out as much as you liked. Your presentation is lovely as usual :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle the mini is so cute! I adore your piping job. My husband would love me forever if I made this for him. Maybe I will as a surprise.

    I'm thinking about making your Boston Cream Cupcakes for my own Birthday. It's on Christmas Eve, so if I don't bake myself something the day gets lost in the Chaos.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, these are adorable! And I bet they're delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mini is just so darn cute! I made a pumpkin "no bake" cheesecake and it was just okay. :( Sorry to hear yours wasn't as good as it could have been. Look great though!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look ah-mazing! So good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks so good!
    i have a question, what were the toppings on top of the cheesecake? :)

    sorry im a real noob at baking. im trying to improve! haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. hello anonymous!

    the toppings are whipped cream and pepita brittle, there is a link to the pepita brittle in the blog entry above. enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete