Friday, December 18, 2009

Sugar Cookies

Not feeling like much of a writer today, but on the upside here are some sugar cookies! The recipe is a hybrid of a couple I've found. These only took a quick zap in the oven and turned out super soft. I liked the addition of the almond extract and everyone who tried them said they tasted great! Something else I like about them: they keep really well so they make great gifts.

This was also my first attempt with royal icing, and though it was finicky and took some patience, the result was worth it. I mean just look at that Hello Kitty! Obviously I need some more practice but for a first try, I'd say I was successful. Now I'm just looking for ways to make royal icing taste better cause I'm not all for that sugary taste.
Merry little men:

Basic Sugar Cookies

Yields: about 20 - 30, depending on the shape


Printable Recipe


2 1/2 cups flour

1 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

1 cup butter, softened

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 tsp. almond extract


In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt, set aside. In a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy and light in color. Add the eggs, vanilla and almond extract, mixing until incorporated. Add the flour mixture, a little at a time until all of it is incorporated. Divide the dough into two and cover completely in saran wrap. Refrigerate for at least an hour to overnight before rolling. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 F. Remove one package of dough at a time and roll to 1/8 - 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shape and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Dough will soften quickly so work fast and always keep extra dough in fridge. Bake for about 7 minutes or until just barely starting to color at the bottom. Let cool completely on wire racks before frosting.


Oh no! Not Hello Kitty!

Swirly swirly swirly:

Royal Icing

Yields: about 2 cups

Original recipe can be found here.


Printable Recipe


2 egg whites

2 lbs. powdered sugar (not all may be used)

1 tsp. lemon juice


Combine egg whites and lemon juice in the bowl of an electric mixer. Add some powdered sugar and start to mix on medium-low speed. Keep adding the sugar a little at a time until the mixture looks thick like whipped cream and it makes soft peaks. Now it is ready for piping. To make it runny enough to flood, add drops of water and mix, a little at a time until the consistency is right for you.


Snowflakes:

10 comments:

  1. Love the hello kitty.... where did you get the cookie cutter from? My daughter is a fan and this cookie will make her day. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hello kitty cookie is adorable! You did such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute cookies, especially the Sanrio ones. I hate when sugar cookies taste like cardboard, so I love that these have almond extract and stay soft =).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim - I got the cookie cutter from a Sanrio store at the mall but I'm sure you could find them online too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Hello Kitty cookies! Very cute! Thanks for stopping by my blog to see my lawn Hello Kitty. Nothing like spreading the HK love. Happy Holidays to you!!! - mary the food librarian

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this sugar cookie...very soft and yummy!!! Will be posting your recipe on my blog :) Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you use regular butter or unsalted butter for the cookie recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Lily: I use unsalted butter, always in baking unless otherwise stated :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the quick response Michelle! I'm about to try this recipe out now! :)

    ReplyDelete