Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Turkey & Cilantro Chutney Pressed Pita

B is always hungry, and I mean always. I have to feed that boy at least 5 - 6 times a day. Crazy huh? It's a wonder to watch him scarf down so much food without gaining a single ounce. So for one of his late night cringes of hunger, I had to dig deep. And I mean deep! There was absolutely nothing in my refrigerator, so I took some random ingredients and was extremely surprised with my result. He loved it, I loved it, what more could you ask for? 
I actually got my fresh cilantro chutney at the Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market in San Francisco, but I've heard that Trader Joe's actually carries some (another reason to love it eh?). But if you can't find it there, a recipe can be found here. Sounds simple enough and trust me, it's good on everything, and boy do I mean everything!
Turkey & Cilantro Chutney Pressed Pita
Yields: Enough for one

2 Pita Breads
4-6 Slices of Turkey
3-4 slices of smoked cheddar cheese
3-4 tbsn. cilantro chutney
garlic powder
freshly ground pepper
salsa or pico de gallo
Tapatio

Note: I have ranges on mostly all of the ingredients because it really depends on your preference to how spicy, how garlicky, or how cheesy you want it. 

Lay one pita slice on your counter and spread the cilantro chutney over it. Next layer half of your cheese, then your turkey, then the other half of your cheese. Sprinkle with pepper and garlic powder. Grill (preferably by a panini press or a George Foreman). Cut into fourths and serve alongside some salsa. I like to mix Tapatio in my salsa for some extra kick! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious! Now where am I ever going to have spare chutney laying around. I think mayonnaise will do!

    ReplyDelete