Not only are the Academy Awards a celebration of the great actors, actresses, screenwriters, costume designers, directors, etc., they are an event in which to showcase the amazing works of designers from the recent runways.
It seemed like a lot of cream made its way to the red carpet this year, which I am always a fan of. Like always, Freida Pinto arrived in an astonishing royal blue gown which was a daring choice and also my favorite of the night. Heidi Klum delivered a sexy side vented gown while Taraji glowed in layers of towered fabric.
1. Penelope Cruz in vintage Balmain
2. Freida Pinto in John Galliano
3. Anne Hathaway in Armani Prive
4. Heidu Klum in Roland Mouret
5. Taraji P. Henson in Roberto Cavalli
And though there were many highs of the night, there was also some lows, unfortunately. Miley Cyrus called attention to herself with an over-the-top scalloped dress while Vanessa Hudgens' frock was extremely dull and tacky looking (and my love for Marchesa could not save her from this one). It looks like this year, the younger generation with their inexperience with the red carpet, failed to deliver. Tilda Swinton has always had a quirky sense of style but her choice really did nothing for her. And as for Beyonce, I just thought it was plain hideousness.
From the left to the right:
1. Miley Cyrus in Zuahir Murad
2. Vanessa Hudgens in Marchesa
3. Tilda Swinton in Lanvin
4. Beyonce in her mother's (Tina Knowles) own creation
5. Amanda Seyfried in Valentino
It seems like the real stars brought out their best dresses for the after parties. I loved the cute knee length dresses in more daring cuts and colors.
1. Claire Danes in Zac Posen
2. Kate Bosworth in Alexander Mcqueen
3. Ginnifer Goodwin
4. Naomi Watts
5. Marion Cotillard
6. Zooey Deschanel
all images above from Yahoo Movies
From the left to the right:
1. Naeem Khan (Fall RTW 2009) - Just pillowy and dreamy.
2. Valentino (Spring Couture 2009) - I love the neck line and the intricate detail of the fabric and you would need little accessories except maybe some Harry Winston earrings.
3. Reem Acra (Fall RTW 2009) - I love the gorgeous jewel tone of this dress, just not sure if it would work against the red carpet but I can tell this dress would be so fun to pair with some beautiful costume jewelry.
4. Elie Saab (Spring Couture 2009) - Ruffles can be unflattering but the cinch at the waist really makes the difference for this one.
5. Naeem Khan (Fall RTW 2009) - Love the crystal waist definition that moves along towards the shoulder.
6. Oscar de la Renta (Fall RTW 2009) - If I could make it long of course! I love black so much and the sparkle just makes me love this dress even more.
7. Halston (Fall RTW 2009) - The bright yellow would be really pretty with the upcoming spring.
all images from style.com