Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Rice Krispies Cookies

I've been on this major cookie rant recently. I used to love all things cupcakes (I still do), but right now, for me, it's all about cookies! One day, I just had this idea... like, literally, it just popped into my head almost exactly like how you see it on the silver screen, lightbulb and all. I thought, why not make 'rice krispies' cookies? I would roll them in rice krispies and stick toasty marshmallows on them, just like the smores cookies (which are one of my favorite cookies). 
First, I thought I would press them into a square pan, bake them, then slice them into squares  - an homage to the original rice krispie square. At the last minute I decided to bake them as traditional cookies, but I might try the squares another time. So, the result?
AMAZE-BALLS! Really, because it's not just amazing, it's amaze-balls. I have never been prouder of myself! These cookies were chewy and soft and had the crispy texture from the rice crispies and the delicious sweetness and chewiness from the toasted marshmallows. Everyone who tried them fell in love, and I think you will too if you try these! My only strife would be that the cookies were a little too soft, so they didn't hold their structure well. I tried a cookie base that had pudding mix in it, so I think next time I will cut the pudding mix amount in half or remove it all together. 


Rice Krispies Cookies
Yields: 15 large cookies
Adapted from here.

2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 sticks (12 tbsn.) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 3.4 oz. package of instant vanilla pudding (I recommend cutting this in half)
2 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup rice krispies cereal
1 cup mini marshmallows

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Stir together the flour and baking soda in a separate bowl, set aside. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until light and creamy. Beat in the pudding mix until well blended. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. When smooth, slowly add in the flour mixture, make sure it is well incorporated. Use a large ice cream scoop to drop the dough onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet, about 3 - 4 per cookie tray. Use your palm to slightly press the cookies down, then press 1 tbsn. of rice krispies onto and around each cookie. Bake for 4 minutes, remove from the oven, then press 6 - 8 marshmallows on each cookie. Bake for another 4 minutes until the marshmallows are slightly toasty and the cookie is golden brown. Let the cookies cook further on the hot cookie sheets on your counter for 5 minutes before removing to a rack to cool completely.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like you were inspired! You're a true cook if you make up your own recipes! These look absolutely delish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm - don't you just love it when ideas like these actually turn out? Thanks for the recipe and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look delicious!! too bad i gave up sweets for lent... i'd totally make these right now!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I put rice krispies in my chocolate chip cookies. It gives it a nice light crunch

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow these really do look amazing! I'd love for you to submit this to the M&T Spotlight at http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was without pudding mix and eggs but decided I had to try these anyways!

    I replaced the 2 eggs with a banana, mashed and another teaspoon of baking soda. I pretty much just neglected the pudding mix, but I did add a splash of coconut extract for fun...

    They came out FANTASTIC! The banana completely changed the flavor of the cookies. They're sort of like banana bread cookies plus rice krispies and marshmallows.

    Great idea! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just made these, and they are the most awesome cookies ever! great idea

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete