Thursday, March 24, 2011

Ice Cream Cake Pops

If you're looking to hype up a big party of little kids, look no further. It was my wee little cousin's birthday a while ago and I decided what could be more fun than ice cream cone-shaped cake pops? Nothing!

Cake pops are always fun, no matter the shape, but putting them in an ice cream cone really takes them to the next level. The kids went crazy over them! Maybe not the best idea for the little tots since by the time they finished them... they were screaming all over the place. Oops, sorry parents!
These were so deceptive, one kid even wondered why his ice cream wasn't melting! Cake pops as always take a bit more love and time than anything else and always are a bit tricky mastering. Something about me and melting chocolate does not work. I always burn the stuff or can never get it to the perfect consistency, which led to top heavy cones, oy vey! I definitely recommend these for kids though, since they are really sweet and can lead to cavity formation upon first bite.

Ice Cream Cone Cake Balls
Yields: 24 ice cream cone cake balls
Original recipe here.

1 (18.25 oz.) box red velvet cake mix + ingredients needed for the cake
1 tub of cream cheese frosti
24 sugar ice cream cones
chocolate
candy melts (color of your choice)
sprinkles


Bake the cake according to the directions on the box, then let cool completely. Once cool, use a fork to shred the cake into crumbs. Once fully crumbed, add 3/4 of the cream cheese frosting. Sometimes the cake needs the whole tub to make it moist enough to roll, but sometimes it doesn't. If 3/4 of the tub isn't enough to make it moist, add the rest and mix thoroughly. You have two options with the ice cream cones: you can either leave them as they are and make HUGE ice cream cake pops OR you can shave the cones down to make 'mini-cones.' Either way, shape the cake mix large enough to fit in the tops of your cones, then stuff them into the cones so that they are stable. I melt 2 cups of candy melts, then in 1 cup increments if I need more. Melt your candy melts using a microwave or a double boiler. Once melted, use a spoon to drizzle it over the top of the cake balls, using a spoon to cover the entire ball, drips are welcomed! Let these dry right-side up. Once dried, melt the chocolate (again, I melt 2 cups first, then in 1 cup increments if more is needed). Use a spoon to drizzle it on top of the candy melt layer, then sprinkle with sprinkles and let them dry before eating.


A peek inside:

9 comments:

  1. they're so cute! i don't know if i'd eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are SO friggun cute, i can't stand it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely post as always :)

    hannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just stumbled upon your blog from another person's blogroll, and I have to say, you have an amazing blog here! These are the cutest things I've ever seen :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, this idea is ingenious! I want to make it for myself even though I have no little kids around! It just so happens I bought this waffle cone maker that makes small mini waffle cones. I think i will use the waffle cone maker and then make these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. how did you prop them up to dry?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Molly Hall: I used a wire cooling rack to prop the ice cream cones up. My cooling rack had some parts that made a "square" that fit up the cones, even though they were slightly slanted...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a fun recipe! Wow...I bet all those kids were on one good sugar high!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow sooooo cute! I think I have to make this for my little sisters next time I visit.

    ReplyDelete