Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Sweet Cherry Scones

I've been kind of, in reality, totally obsessed with scones at the moment. I guess I actually can't even say 'at the moment' because I've been obsessed ever since I tried the most monumentally, mind-blowing scones ever at the Diamond Head Market & Grille in Oahu, Hawaii. I was never one to love scones. They have a bad reputation of being dry and chalky... but ever since I met the 'one' I can't get the idea of delicious scones out of my damn mind!
I've come to realization with the fact that I will never be able to duplicate the glorious scones that come from the Diamond Head Market & Grille and that's okay by me. I guess I'll just have to visit more often ;)

Anyway, despite failures to replicate their famous Blueberry-Cream Cheese scones, I now know that scones can be very loveable. They don't have to be dry, bland or chalky. These scones are easy, delicious and moist beyond belief. Seriously, I had a craving for scones and whipped these up in less than an hour with not a drop of sweat or a wave of stress. The best part is that you can toss anything you want into them - I happened to have some fresh cherries on hand so that's what I threw in and it was delicious.

I imagine any fresh fruit would be perfect, possibly some dark chocolate? Lemon zest? Cream cheese? The possibilities are really endless!

Sweet Cherry Scones
Yields: about 10 drop scones
Adapted from here.

8 tbsn. unsalted butter, cut into cubes and frozen
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup whole milk
1 1/2 cups fresh cherries, pitted and halved

Preheat the oven to 400 F. Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Fold in the frozen cubed butter and use a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal, but do this fast so that the butter does not melt. In a large measuring cup, whisk together the sour cream and milk together to combine then add to the butter mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. Use a large ice cream scoop to drop the dough onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until golden brown. 

7 comments:

  1. These look fantastic! I love anything with cherries and thankfully cherry season is just around the corner in my little part of the world. Thanx for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always looking for an excuse to bake scones. Since cherries are in season, I might need to go get me a batch and bake some scones tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what kind of tea is that in the photos?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ anonymous: it's trader joes' jasmine green tea :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. NOMNOMNOM! These look so good, especially those chunks of fresh cherries. I want one even though it's past midnight haha =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scones have never been my cup of tea, but I'm willing to fail again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this recipe - having just returned from the farmer's market in Atwater I have lovely cherries! I love love LOVE the scones from this market: http://inherentstylela.blogspot.com/2011/04/farmers-market-calabasas.html
    I'm hoping your recipe will come close!

    ReplyDelete