Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Strawberry-Lychee Aguas Frescas

When there's a good deal, it's human nature to just jump on it. So when I saw strawberries at my local market for 99 cents a pack, I kind of just went crazy and bought a couple. They looked pretty red, firm and fresh but when I brought them home... they were just meh. Not sweet and definitely not the best tasting strawberries. I couldn't eat them and I definitely couldn't bake with them... so what's a girl to do?
Since I've kind of been obsessed with green monster smoothies, I wanted to make some kind of delicious drink with the berries. If you've never had aguas frescas, find yourself some immediately! Or, at least make yourself some - it's super simple. I threw the berries, some lychees and some lychee syrup into a blender, along with some water. A couple whizzes and it was all done! A simple, slightly sweet juice - perfect for the hot weather we've been having.


Strawberry-Lychee Aguas Frescas
Yields: about 4 cups


2 cups strawberries, washed, hulled and roughly chopped
1 cup canned lychees
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 - 1 cup lychee syrup (reserved from can)


In a blender, combine the strawberries, lychees and water. Blend until completely smooth. Add 1/2 cup of the lychee syrup and blend to combine. Taste, and depending on how sweet your strawberries are or how sweet you want your aguas frescas to be, add more lychee syrup to taste. Chill in the refrigerator until cold. Serve over ice.



2 comments:

  1. This looks so refreshing! I love anything with lychee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really great!
    ...I know what you mean...it's horrible when you buy bright, red strawberries expecting them to taste as good as they like. It's always so disappointing...sniff. That's why we grow our own. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete