Friday, May 13, 2011

Spicy Bloody Marys

I love me a good spicy bloody mary. I usually hate, hate, hate vodka but for bloody marys, I make the exception. For bloody marys, I love, love, love vodka! Oh, and I'd never thought I would say that... ever. Vodka + tomatoes + spices just seem to make the loveliest concoction don't they? 
See, above and below; the combination of vodka + tomatoes just works. In all situations, at all times of the day! That's why bloody marys are offered alongside breakfast. It's just a well known fact that when you add tomato juice and spices to vodka, it completely negates the fact that you're drinking alcohol in the wee hours of the morning... or at least that's what we'd like to tell ourselves huh?
If you're still doubtful about drinking vodka in the morning, just think of the bloody mary as a well balanced meal! It's full of nutritious tomato juice, sinus clearing horseradish, and crunchy celery. Actually vodka itself is considered great for blood circulation and debatably, a shot a day is therapeutic - but the jury is still out on that one!
For things that I don't like (vodka and tomato juice), I'm pretty surprised by how much I love bloody marys. So, if you are doubtful, I urge you to at least try it before knocking it. It's deliciously tangy, spicy, and has this kick that makes you crave for more!
Loving my 'limited edition' glass ball looking Absolut Vodka bottle. Makes drinking all the more fun!


The Perfect Bloody Mary
Yields: about 8 - 10 servings
Adapted from here.

For the bloody mary:
1 quart (4 cups) tomato juice
1/4 cup + 1 tbsn. cream style horseradish
1/4 cup + 2 tbsn. worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp. salt
 1 1/2 tbsn. tabasco (any hot sauce will do though)
1/4 cup + 2 tbsn. lime juice
1/4 tsp. celery salt
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 tbsn. fresh grated fresh onion
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 1/2 cups vodka

For garnish (all optional):
kalamata olives
cocktail olives
blue cheese stuffed olives - my favorite
celery sticks
sliced jalapenos
lime wedges
cocktail onions
pepperoncini
cornichons 

Mix all the ingredients in a large pitcher and pour over ice in a cocktail glass. If you want to make this ahead of time as a mix, combine everything except the vodka and store in a closed container or jar. When ready to use, add the vodka and serve over ice. Add a stick of celery, slice of jalapeno and/ or olives to garnish.


As you can see, I had a little toooo much fun with my chalkboard poster board.

It's the simplest + cheapest food photography prop ever! Just a can of chalkboard spray paint + a large posterboard and you've got an instant blank canvas for whatever your mind thinks up!

5 comments:

  1. The drink looks wonderful but I really wanted to tell you how much I love the design and photography in this post. The chalkboard idea is so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is genius- your photography and drawings are great! Love it. And Bloody Marys are the best, yours sounds super tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Sara: Thank you so much!

    @ Ashley: Thanks! I actually made the chalkboard poster board - all I did was buy a regular poster board and chalboard spray paint (all available at Michael's or any other craft store) and then spray painted it according to the directions on the label! Ta da - easy prop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous photos!

    xoxo, sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love bloody marys! Yours looks awesome - must try soon...

    ReplyDelete