Saturday, July 3, 2010

Panko Mozzarella Sticks

So, here's another Pioneer Woman recipe. Fried, panko-covered, ooey-gooey mozzarella sticks. Yes. I did it, I made them. I had a craving, I gave in and now I have a smile on my face. A big smile because it was delicious, which is no surprise because after all, it IS a Pioneer Woman recipe.
Anyways this recipe is super easy. I actually didn't even really follow the recipe, and used it more as a guideline. I just felt like a little snack so I made a teeny portion for myself, eyeing everything. I literally whipped this up in less than 15 minutes. So if you're ever craving something salty, cheesy and yummy, this is it. I enjoyed mine with some of my homemade Korean-Mexican hot sauce hybrid because I didn't have marinara on hand, and let me tell you, it was pretty delicious.
Panko Mozzarella Sticks
Yields: 8 servings
Adapted from here.

16 pieces string cheese, removed from wrappers
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs
3 tbsn. milk
2 cups panko bread crumbs
1 tbsn. dried parsley flakes (I used 2 tbsn. of fresh)
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
Canola oil, for frying

Slice the string cheese in half (I sliced them in four for bite-sized pieces). Place the flour in a small bowl. In another separate bowl, combine the bread crumbs with the parsley, salt, pepper and garlic, stir to combine. In a shallow dish, whisk the eggs with the milk to combine. To assemble, one by one, dust the cheese in the flour, tapping the excess off. Next, dip the cheese in the egg mixture, covering completely. Then lastly, roll the cheese in the panko crumb mixture. Gently remove and place on a baking sheet. Place the sheet in a freezer for 20 - 30 minutes to flash freeze sticks.

To cook, fill a medium saucepan with the canola oil until it reaches a height of about 1 inch. Heat over medium-high heat until hot. When hot, add the mozzarella sticks, 8 pieces at a time. Watch closely and turn over to evenly brown, cooking less than 2 minutes. Do not allow the cheese to bubble and leak. Remove and drain on a paper towel lined plate. Enjoy!

15 comments:

  1. yum. i would like a bowl of those at this very moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. They look like tator tots with loads of flavor. I love how you photographed this dish! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I've been eyeing up a similar recipe for ages but never seem to get around to it. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those crunchy mozzarella balls look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all kinds of cheese fritters and yours look so mouthwatering! and elegant, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, these look so good and so easy. Mozzarella sticks are my favorite bar snack, I'm going to have to try these at home, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. these look amazing, anything cheesy and fried sends me into a frenzy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh. Now I'm craving them too! Gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my! Those look amazing and sound pretty easy. Hubby loves cheese sticks when we go out to eat. I love that they are nice bite sized chunks. Will be trying this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos!! love your Blog!! and oh, how this recipe sounds devine especially with the Korean hot sauce YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Uh oh, I'd better not let the bf see this because he's DEMAND I make it immediately. These look so delicious and pretty easy, too. Definitely bookmarked for later :).

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks absolutely delicious! and thanks for sharing the recipe as they don't look all that hard to make!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with baobabs it looks delicious. Beautiful food photography too.

    ReplyDelete