Monday, July 12, 2010

The BEST Egg Salad Sandwich Ever

This doesn't usually happen unless I'm sleeping. And by this, I mean drooling. I am literally salivating looking and thinking about this egg salad sandwich. I don't think it can get any better than this sandwich, really.
I love watching 'The Best Thing I Ever Ate' on the food network simply just to hear the interviewees gush and reminisce about some of the best things they've eaten all across this country. I love how they get so involved with the food and get so emotional and in depth about it all. Well, one place that they visited was Europane, a little cafe in Pasadena, California famous for their egg salad sandwiches. After visiting and consuming one of these famed sandwiches, I was set on a mission to make one immediately.

That I did, promptly the next afternoon. Now I am set on spreading this good news of eggy delight throughout the realms of the internet. Here is, unabashedly, thee best egg salad I have eaten and made and I think, will ever make in my entire life.
Soft-boiled Egg Salad Sandwiches
Yields: 4 servings
Inspired by Europane.

For the egg salad:
8 large eggs
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/8 cup dijon mustard
2 tbsn. chopped chives, plus extra for topping
1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste
1/4 tsp. pepper, or to taste

4 thick slices of crusty bread, toasted (I used La Brea Bakery bread)
sun-dried tomato pesto, store bought or made
mixed baby greens
1 small lemon

To soft-boil the eggs, heat a large pot of water (enough to cover the eggs) over high heat til a rolling boil. Drop the eggs slowly into the water using a slotted spoon, and cook on high heat (still a rolling boil) for exactly 5 1/2 minutes. Remove, drain and let cool. Once cool, peel the eggs carefully and place into a large bowl. From half of the eggs, remove the soft yolk (or else the salad will be too liquidy). Use a fork to break up the eggs (the yolks should still be slightly runny). Mix in the salt, pepper, mayonnaise, mustard, and chives. To assemble the sandwiches, take your toasted bread and spread some sun-dried tomato pesto on each slice. Top with some baby greens, then 1/8 of the egg mixture. Sprinkle the open-faced sandwich with some more pepper, chives and a squeeze of lemon juice. Repeat with the remaining slices and enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. I love "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" too! And what season is their favourite to cook in etc.
    Ps. A good egg sandwich, now that's a classic you can't beat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen "the best thing I ever ate" but I agree on egg salad sandwiches. (I think I will have one for lunch!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM I want to try that egg salad.
    and I like the new look of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks amazingg! I love the best thing I ever ate too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched that episode (my husband and I have been totally addicted to that show ever since it aired and unfortunately is constantly makes us hungry) so i'm definitely going to try and make this!

    -elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. These looks amazing! I like egg salad to begin with with sun-dried tomatoes? Now that's a memorable sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks delicious. on my to-do list of things to cook !

    ReplyDelete
  8. An egg salad sandwich would be so good with the sun dried tomato pesto!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely sandwich, and beautiful photo !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not a fan of the sundried tomatoes, it over powers the egg.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love soft boiled eggs and don't really care for hard boiled and i wanted an egg salad sandwich, so i tried this recipe. the egg salad mixture was just a goopy-soupy mess, no way was it thick enough to work as a sandwich filler or even a topper really. maybe if u pulled out a spoon and slurped it up. but no, that wouldn't work either because of the bread. basally this is like pouring chuncky baked potato soup or corn chowder over bread and trying to eat it like a sandwich, ya, a total no-go.

    ReplyDelete