Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Lychee Panna Cotta with Pomegranate Jelly & Granita

I love pomegranates. But I didn't really experience them until probably 3 years ago. Late bloomer, I know! I love the crunchiness of fresh pomegranate seeds but I also love the tangy kick you get from pomegranate juice.
Recently, Ryan from POM Wonderful sent me a case of POM Blueberry juice and I was so curious about what I could do with the wonderful product other than drink it, which I think is probably the best way to enjoy the stuff! Well, I found two amazing uses for the juice - as a icy cool, uber refreshing granita and as a deliciously creamy panna cotta. Oh man, I really outdid myself with this one!
I took it to the next level by topping the creamy panna cottas with some of the granita. Yep, was it good. First of all, the panna cotta was sooo creamy and soft (the way they are meant to be). But I think my favorite part was the pomegranate jelly. Maybe it's because I love jelly but this one was really good. Then... granita on top?! Yeah, it was a good idea.

Tip though, BE PATIENT! I obviously was not and poured in my pomegranate jelly layer before letting the panna cotta fully set, which ultimately led to a mixing of the two. It pays to be patient!
Wonderous POM Wonderful.
Lychee Panna Cotta with Pomegranate Jelly
Yields:
Original recipe here.

For the panna cotta:
1 can lychees, in syrup
2 tsp. powdered gelatin
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
2 tbsn. sugar

For the pomegranate jelly:
1 1/2 tsp. powdered gelatin
1 cup pomegranate juice (I used pomegranate-blueberry)
1/2 cup sugar

Open the can of lychees and pour the lychees and syrup into a food processor. Process until smooth. There will be a lot of bits of lychee flesh and pulp, strain into a measuring cup until you get 1 cup of clear liquid. Place 3 tbsn. cold water in a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over the top, let sit while you do the next step. Combine the lychee liquid, cream, milk and sugar in a medium saucepan. Heat on medium, stirring until the sugar is dissolved and it just comes to a boil. Remove the lychee mixture from the heat and add the gelatin. Stir until the gelatin is fully melted and combined. Divide mixture among glasses and refrigerate until set, at least 2 hours.

To make the jelly, place 3 tbsn. of cold water in a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over the top. Let sit while you do the next step. Combine the pomegranate juice and sugar in a medium saucepan and heat on medium, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Add the gelatin and stir until fully melted and combined. Remove from heat and let cool for about 10 minutes. Pour over the panna cotta and refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.

You can also just enjoy the granita by itself, which is perfect for the summer heat!

Lychee Pomegranate Granita

Inspired by this.


1 can lychees, in syrup

1 cup pomegranate juice (I used blueberry-pomegrante)

sugar, to taste


Puree the lychees with the syrup and strain the liquid to remove extra large parts. Add the pomegranate juice. If needed, add some sugar (this is not likely, as the lychees are pretty sweet). Place in a freezer safe container that is open, such as a medium baking dish. Let freeze, scraping every 30 minutes or so with a fork until frozen but a bit slushy. Enjoy!


POM Wonderful is right!

9 comments:

  1. Andrea@POM:
    Michelle, that is an amazing recipe and your photos are GORGEOUS!! I have to admit, I'm not a huge lychee fan, but I might be after seeing this. Would love to share with our POM Community, who loves new recipes using Juice and creativity, let me know if we have your permission. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Andrea: of course you can use it! I'd love that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creamy and cool? Just what I need after a day braving the summer heat. This looks awesome, Michelle. POM definitely sent their goods to the right person :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks perfect for a hot summer day. I love POM stuff. What a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, i've been in love with your blog since i found your pictures on flickr. i must say, this dessert looks absolutely delicious and your pictures are to die for! you can really tell that you love doing this and you've helped to inspire me to start up a blog of my own too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the new banner and awesome panna cotta!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look cool, refreshing and good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is simply gorgeous! absolutely adore lychees and what a wonderful way to pair it with the POM.

    ReplyDelete