Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Summer in a Cup (Blueberry Green Tea)

Tea is quite possibly one of my favorite things on this earth. I love it hot or cold, but in the summer when the sun is beating on your back and glaring in your eyes, iced tea can be the most perfect thing you ever asked for. Especially the one I have down below!
Usually, I prefer my tea unsweetened but there's a certain kind of 'Asian style' tea that I just obsess over. It's super popular here in the southern parts of California and is filled with all kinds of treats such as chopped fruit and chewy tapioca balls (aka boba). I LOVE boba; it's chewy and like candy in your drink! Some people, I know, find the texture quite odd but if you haven't tried it before, give it a chance and you might find a new obsession.
This tea is perfection. It's like the tea I can find at my local Asian milk tea shops but now I can have it anytime I want it. The recipe is simple enough and it's really just a matter of assembling everything together. And if you don't like boba, or can't find the ingredients, the blueberry iced tea without the optional add ins are more than enough to keep your thirst quenched! Mmmmm summer and a glass of ice cold tea; it really doesn't get better than this.
Blueberry Green Tea with Add Ins (Asian style or not)
Yields: 6 - 8 servings
Syrup recipe from here.

For the syrup:
1 cup blueberries
1 cup water
1 cup sugar

6 cups water
3 - 4 tbsn. or 3 - 4 tea bags of green tea (I used peach green tea!)
1 package of large tapioca pearls/ boba (optional)
1/2 can of canned lychees, chopped (optional)
1/2 jar of coconut jelly or nata de coco, chopped (optional)

To make the syrup, add the blueberries, water and sugar into a large saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat to bring the mixture to a boil. Boil until the blueberries burst and release their juices. Remove from heat. Use a spatula to slightly crush the berries against the sides of the pan. Strain the berries from the syrup with a colander.

You can brew the tea in two ways: hot or cold. To brew it hot, bring the water to just under a boil. Add the tea/ tea bags and let steep for 3 - 5 minutes, then cool in refrigerator until completely cooled. To brew cold, combine the water and the tea/ tea bags and let steep in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours (you don't have to worry about over steeping with cold brewing).

Prepare the tapioca pearls/ boba according to the package, then drain and set aside. To assemble, add enough of the blueberry simple syrup to the green tea until it is is just sweet enough and has enough berry flavor to your taste. If you want it 'Asian style', to assemble the individual drinks, add 2 tbsn. of boba, 2 tbsn. of chopped lychee, and 2 tbsn. of chopped coconut jelly into each serving glass. Add some ice, then top with the blueberry green tea. Drink with a large 'boba' straw!

10 comments:

  1. this is a silly question...but are those martha stewart glasses? i know they are common glasses but they look exactly like the ones i have! i love them to death!


    great post by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect refreshing drink for the summer. Love the colors, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these pictures are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you put lychee in any drink, I will drink it. I have to give this one a try.

    I just finished watching SYTYCD and that is the best episode that I've ever seen! I thought of you since none of my friends watch the show. Holy balls, Alex Wong, you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yaaay recipe!
    i'm definitely making this at my next party :)
    thanks for sharinggg.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah! this looks fantastic, i love the idea of making this at home.
    i'm definitely gonna try this

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ vertigoxcured: haha no they aren't martha, i'm actually not even sure what they are, but you have good taste ;D

    thanks everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad you liked the syrup recipe, great addition of coconut, lychee, and boba!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is nice blog and unique information related to health. Thanks for sharing such a good information...


    Tea Tone Plus Reviews

    ReplyDelete