Friday, March 5, 2010

Steamed Sea Bass in Black Bean Sauce

It's Friday, and for me that means fish fridays. Well not always fish fridays, sometimes cheese pizza fridays, or fruit-filled fridays or crusty bread fridays. Basically, no meat fridays. In the past, I haven't been so good with finding good meals to eat on Fridays that consisted of no meat. Well those times have changed...
Mmmm steamed sea bass. We have a similar dish like this at the place where I work so when I had some sea bass on hand, I decided to try it out. This recipe is INCREDIBLY simple and easy to boot. I highly recommend it if you are short for time and want a delicious dinner!
The results were simply fabulous. Tender, perfectly flaky fish with some great delicate flavor. Some reviews said that they didn't like this dish because it wasn't full of flavor but that's what I like about it. It's a beautifully light fish with the perfect amount of flavor, just really simple and yummy.
Steamed Sea Bass with Black Bean Sauce
Yields: 4 servings
Original recipe can be found here.

1 1/2 lbs. sea bass filets, about 1/4 inch thick
3 tbsn. black bean sauce
1/2 inch ginger, cut into matchstick pieces
2 green onions, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 tsp. peanut oil (I used sesame oil)
cilantro or more green onion (to garnish)

In the bottom of a steamer, add 1 inch of water and place the steaming rack on top. Heat over medium high heat to boil the water. If you don't have a steamer, place 1 inch of water in a wok or frying pan and place a rack on top of it. Place the fish in pyrex dish and spread the black bean sauce over it. Then scatter the green onions and ginger on top. Drizzle the oil over the fish, then place the dish on top of the rack. Cover and steam for 12 minutes or until fish flakes easily. Remove from steamer and garnish with cilantro. Enjoy!

Perfectly flaky sea bass!
Mmmm I love Fish Fridays!
Simplicity at its best.

7 comments:

  1. i love sea bass and this looks awesome! your photos of it are beautiful!

    This was a simple recipe with sea bass that i absolutely LOVED:

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/ginger-garlic-fish-in-parchment-recipe/index.html

    love rachel or hate her, this was totally delish.

    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous photos! this looks and sounds simply fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, steamed fish with black bean sauce...my mouth's watering already!

    The photographs are absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steaming fish is a new discovery for me (yay for my new steamer!) Love your blog--how can I subscribe? I don't see an RSS feed anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kasey! I don't know if 'following' is the same as an RSS feed, but the tab to follow my blog is just on the left :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ** Oh and I just saw that you can subscribe by email below the comment box

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love steamed fish with black bean sauce. Thanks for posting this Asian classic :).

    ReplyDelete