Monday, March 15, 2010

Matcha Pancakes

GOT MATCHA?
I've got matcha. I've got lots of matcha. In the form of fluffy, pillow-y pancakes to be exact. Joy the Baker knows pancakes. I mean she's created a few dozen types and recipes that are literally to-die-for. I fell completely in love with her Chai Spiced Pancake recipe. Literally, they are perfection. Fluffy and light, and ever-so-slightly spiced.
So, with that, I decided to use her yummy recipe as a base for a creation of my own doing. Matcha pancakes. Minus a couple ingredients here, add a couple ingredients there, tweak some things here and there and voila! Matcha pancakes. I added quite a bit of Matcha powder which just gave the pancakes a hint of that earthy, green tea flavor. It's really hard to get a prominent Matcha flavor but the suggestive flavor is really beautiful.

Matcha Pancakes

Yields: 20 - 30 medium sized pancakes

Adapted from Joy the Baker, which can be found here.


2 eggs

1 cup flour

1 cup whole wheat flour (you can use all regular flour)

3 tbsn. sugar

2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. salt

2 tbsn. matcha powder (or more, for more matcha flavor)

1 1/2 cups buttermilk

1/2 cup water

4 tbsn. butter, melted and cooled

1/2 tsp. vanilla

oil or cooking spray, for cooking


In a large bowl, beat the eggs. In a small bowl, mix the matcha powder with the water until well combined. Add the buttermilk, matcha mixture, butter and vanilla to the eggs and mix well. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until smooth, let sit for a few minutes. Heat pan over medium heat. Add tsp. of oil or spray with cooking spray. Once pan is hot, pour two tbsn. of batter onto the pan and cook until bubbles start to form on the top, about 1 - 2 minutes. Flip over and cook another 1 - 2 minutes or until golden brown.


It ain't easy being green:


13 comments:

  1. I am completely in love with your blog. From the fashion to the recipes to the music recommendations, everything is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in love with the recipe and the gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried using tea in my cooking but I would love to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, love matcha. I never thought to make matcha pancakes before! I'm so excited to try this out!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. those look absolutely gorgeous! I'll be visiting this blog just a little more frequent now. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i know someone who would probably love this so bad! it is a pity my family doesnt love green tea much! i hope they will fall in love with it once i show them your post:P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow these look amazing! I love matcha and I love interesting breakfasts (it's my favourite meal). I will definitely be making these with our lovely Matsukaze Matcha (http://www.lahlootea.co.uk/product.php/51/7/matsukaze_matcha) for a lazy breakfast over Sunday papers after a busy busy week. Thanks, I'll be keeping an eye on your blog from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yummo! my gf would kill for that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Trust you to take a spectacular recipe and make it even better. I've been drooling ever since I saw these on Flickr. What a beaut!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love matcha! I recently made Bakerella's Chocolate matcha bundt cake and fell in love with the combination of Chocolate & Matcha! you should give it a try ;) I'm mentally listing this down on my to try list!:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was pointed here from another blog - I ALSO posted about matcha pancakes, what a coincidence! Love this blog, I will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Michelle,
    This is my first visit here and found some really interesting stuff in your blog especially the recipes. I will definitely recommend for all my family. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete