Saturday, March 20, 2010

Green Tea & Strawberry Daifuku

Spring. It's here and although Winter is my all time favorite season, it's time for that much needed sunshine. I went to the market today and was greeted by a flurry of gorgeous fruit: berries, peaches, and nectarines galore. I was literally a kid in a non-artificial candy store.
What to buy? What to make? Oh the possibilities! I ended up making Daifuku, or Japanese mochi treats. I can't think of anything more fitting to welcome in the new season. Luscious strawberries wrapped in green tea tinged mochi. A perfectly refreshing snack for these warm sunny days.
At first, I followed the recipe to a tee which yielded in hard, very unmanageable mochi! Ick. But after some further research, I found that the mochi mixture only needs to be zapped in the microwave for a couple minutes (it's fixed in the recipe). Other than that, this is a quick snack that is fun to make and fun to eat, plus it's looks don't hurt either. So cute!

Green Tea & Strawberry Daifuku (Mochi)
Yields: 12 small Mochi
Recipe from here.

1 cup Mochiko flour or sweet rice flour
2/3 cup strong brewed green tea
1/2 tsp. matcha powder
1/4 cup sugar
6 strawberries, washed with green tops removed
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup powdered sugar

Stir together the tea and sugar, microwave for 30 seconds or until sugar is dissolved. Stir in the rice flour and cover loosely with plastic wrap, then microwave for 2 minutes. While the mochi mix is microwaving, commune the corn starch and powdered sugar and liberaly dust your cutting board, set the prepared fruit nearby and get out a spoon. Stir mochi and then cook another minute. Once done, carefully turn out onto the dusted surface, WATCH OUT, the mochi will be HOT! Dust your hands in the sugar-cornstarch mix and break off a piece large enough to cover the entire strawberry (eyeball it), flatten it out, then place a piece of fruit in the center. Pinch up the sides and seal, then repeat for remaining mochi dough but be sure to work fast before the mochi gets cold. Keep in the refrigerator or freezer.

13 comments:

  1. OMG those look DIVINE. I must try....thanks so much for sharing xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! so pretty! and creative. I'm definitely going to make these. I love mochi, and I love love the idea of putting a strawberry as the filling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is perfect! It's been a while since I bought that mochi flour and was procrastinating about giving it a try. I love your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful post...oh those daifuku strawberries... :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, strawberry and green tea? <3!
    Your photos are beautiful.

    ~Kurious Kitteh

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always wanted to make mochi! I've got some flour in the cupboard, perhaps today is the day!

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. The green tea and strawberry combination sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. *Runs out and buys a big bag of Mochiko immediately* or at least that's what this post makes me want to do teehee. I've been seeing a few versions of this lately, but flavoring the mochi with green tea sound like a fantastic idea both for flavor and looks. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Years ago, I lived in Hawaii and I used to LOVE going to the local Daiea and pick up mochi filled with fresh strawberries and azuki bean paste. I've been craving it for ages and have never been able to find anything that fulfills my needs. Do you have any recipe suggestions??!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YES! Make the recipe above, except you can add adzuki beans!

    I made a version of the recipe above with Nutella, but adzuki would be perfect too.

    Just form the mochi with your hands (careful, it's hot), add a smidge of adzuki paste then wrap around a strawberry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Could you warm the ingredients on the stove, rather than a microwave? Or a steamer even?

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Anonymous: I'm not sure, as I haven't tried it that way. I recommend just sticking to the microwave, but if you're adventurous and don't mind it possibly not working, you can try steaming it or stove-topping it :)

    ReplyDelete