Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Magic Coffee

This is an ode to coffee. I'm having an affair. I love tea, I do, but sometimes I need that extra little kick, that richness in flavor that only coffee can subside. Especially now that my days are longer with school and all, coffee can do things that tea can't even dream of... most namely: keep me awake during night class, oy vey!
The key to great coffee is great beans. You really must use beans you love! If you can, try to grind it just before using. But, being that most of us are lazy (ahem, me) and we don't always have the time to grind our coffee fresh, I recommend grinding in small batches, which is what I do. It's easier to find the time to pre-grind for a week than to grind every day and to be honest, I can't taste much of a difference (shhhhh - don't tell)!
This coffee is cold brewed and has a bit of cinnamon and brown sugar added, which makes it incredibly warm and comforting. The cold brew method is super easy even though it sounds complicated. Just throw everything into a container, let it meld overnight, then the next morning, strain all the grinds out and enjoy! It really is magic.
I got these new measuring spoons from Chef Toys. Aren't they gorgeously minimalistic? I had a variety of measuring spoons in my house ranging from plastic, to Hello Kitty themed, to horrific. I decided to throw them all out and stick to these. I think I made a good choice.
Coffee grinds:
The finished product ready to be enjoyed:
Pour over ice:
Add milk (vanilla soy was my choice) and enjoy!
An assembly line of sorts:


Magic Coffee
Yields:
Original recipe here.

2/3 cups coarsely ground coffee
3 cups water
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 tbsn. dark brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla (optional)

Put all of the ingredients in a quart jar and stir. Cover and refrigerate over night. Before serving, pour the mixture through a fine mesh sieve and then pour back into whatever container you'd like to store it in. For each drink, fill a tall glass halfway with ice. Pour in the coffee until 3/4 full and add milk/ half and half/ cream to taste.


Here's a peek into my morning life: 
Just got the Macrina Bakery cookbook, so far it's love.

15 comments:

  1. What a pretty post! I use the Toddy cold brew system, but I like your (much more simple) method. My iced coffee addiction has increased ten-fold since I quit sodas...must go get a glass..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous post! I fall in love with photos every time I see them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like those bottles with the swing top. Such awesome pictures again today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahh you're the best michelle. I love the typography.
    definitely trying this recipe. Whenever I don't know what to cook...I look at your recipe index.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an interesting way to make coffee! I've heard of cold brewing before but I haven't tried it. Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow what a beautiful post!! i love the dark background. this looks so delicious and perfect for cold mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks everyone!!

    @ helena: i got the swing top bottle from ikea! super cheap and great storage vessels

    @ smalltownoven: the cold brew method is super easy!! you must try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are beautiful shots of the coffee making process! I LOVE cold brewed coffee too, I usually heat my milk up in a saucepan since I like my coffee hot. I am going to add some brown sugar and cinnamon to my mix next time I brew/chuck everything in a glass jar. :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How does the coffee taste heated when you brew it with this method?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so fun ! I wrote an ode to coffee last monday= it's an eternal love! ;D
    I love the tones of your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ a-dig: reheating is completely possible but the coffee is definitely best cold, over ice. that said, reheating cold coffee is not as bad as reheating previously hot coffee, since this is the first time it will have been heated :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great coffee idea, even better I can get it all ready pretty much the night before, thinking perfect in a thermos (cold) for morning break at work. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. if you have a french press, it's even easier. just pour the coffee grounds + water into the french press and use it to strain the coffee. works perfect every time

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just came across this entry, and I love every bit of it -- the pics, the recipe, everything. This sounds like such a yummy idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such beautiful photos of coffee! Love how you photographed each phase! And I'm sure it tastes just wonderful and magical. x

    ReplyDelete