Thursday, February 24, 2011

Crispy Black Bean Tacos with Feta & Cabbage Slaw

Gosh, I have so many back up posts it's insane. Things I've cooked months, possibly even years ago that I haven't had the time to post. And you know why? Because every time I cook something new, I fall in love with it, and find myself itching to post it before all the other ones waiting in line to be posted. Such is the life of these black bean tacos. Gosh I love 'em so. I literally just made these for lunch a couple hours ago after I got off work and found myself oo-ing and ahh-ing at their deliciousness. 
These are a vegetarian option that makes you totally forget that you used to love meat. It's healthy, crispy, tangy, a bit spicy... it goes on and on. I'm so in love with these tacos!! This is a perfect meal - cheap to make, easy to assemble, good for you and so freaking delicious. 

Crispy Black Bean Tacos with Feta & Cabbage Slaw
Yields: 6 tacos, 2 servings
Adapted from here.

For the black beans:
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic clives, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

For the cabbage slaw:
2 tsp. olive oil
1 tbsn. lime juice
2 cups coleslaw mix
2 green onions, chopped
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
1 tbsn. mayonnaise (optional)
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

For the tacos
2 tbsn. olive oil
6 corn or flour tortillas
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
hot sauce, for serving

In a medium pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the onion and garlic and saute until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the black beans, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste. Use a fork to slightly mash the beans and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. To make the cabbage slaw, mix 2 tsp. of olive oil and lime juice in a medium bowl. Add the coleslaw, green onions, cilantro and toss to coat. If desired, you can also add the mayonnaise for a creamier slaw. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Heat 1 tsp. of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add three tortillas in a single layer. Once golden brown, flip, then spoon 1/4 of the bean mixture onto each tortilla and cook for 1 minute or until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining tsp. of oil and tortillas. Fill the tacos with feta and slaw. Serve with hot sauce, lime wedges and sour cream.


18 comments:

  1. they look and sound delicious! I don't know how you hold off eating them long enough to take photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love vegetarian weeknight meals. And you can never go wrong with tacos in my book. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you pictures are so beautiful! you should do a food photography tutorial. any advice on someone just beginning with food photographer (and has to photograph at night)?

    http://lachapstickfanatique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These tacos look awesome, I tend to eat vegetarian but my husband definitely does not but I know for sure that this is something he would happily eat.

    I was just looking at your restaurant section and I love that you included the Mad Greek! I was going to comment asking if you tried the strawberry shake and I saw that you did. I also love that you went to Bottega Louie! I work only a few blocks from Bottega so we try to go there as often as we can. I love love love that place. I haven't been there for dinner or brunch yet, but I hear it gets insanely crowded and busy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love! Tacos are one of my favorite foods. Can't wait to give them a whirl with black beans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds amazingly delicious! Actually, the interesting flavor combinations remind me of a fantastic "new-age" Mexican place in my town, called Esquina. They use toppings such as pumpkin, sunflower seeds, mango, etc. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sounds so delicious. I love crispy tortillas incredible amounts, and black beans with feta--yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see why you're in love, I'm feeling a little jealous here on the other side of the computer screen. Will just have to make some for myself !

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look SO GOOD. I promised my boyfriend I would cook one of these days (hard to do when he's so much of a better cook than I am) and I think I'm finally inspired to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love tacos!
    and I love your photography.
    and I love that these are vegetarian and full of yummy stuff.
    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just made these for dinner! They are as quick, easy, and tasty as they look :) I added a little white wine vinegar to my slaw and I think next time I might add a little jalapeño for some extra fun. Great recipe, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Jessica: I'm so glad you liked them; I agree - they are the quickest, good-tasting dinner/ lunch ever! And the best part is that they're pretty healthy too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Made these tonight and they were yummy! And so filling. This recipe's going into regular rotation at my house! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't normally leave comments on food posts, but it was impossible not to this time... I found your recipe a week ago looking for something easy to break up my usual tired lunch routine, and I am freaking hooked! I can't believe how tasty these are. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This recipe is phenomenal. I make them vegan for my boyfriend. I like adding some (vegan) sour cream in lieu of feta and some sauteed peppers on the side. I just had the leftovers as like a nacho dip with blue corn chips.

    I really don't miss meat tacos with this recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete