Tuesday, September 28, 2010

"Best Ever Soft Chocolate Chip (Almond) Cookies"

A little rant: Blogger has really been annoying me lately! What's up with all the changes?! Now, change is not normally a bad thing but when you worked so hard to make your blog look a certain way and you begin to love it, it's totally not cool for Blogger to screw it all up! Ugh anyways... onto the post!
As a baker, you should have certain things in your arsenal, such as the perfect chocolate cake or the perfect pie crust, but really, the most important is the perfect chocolate chip cookie. I must be honest, I haven't tried very hard to find one, but maybe it's best I leave it to find me.


Though this isn't your traditional CCC, since I threw some chocolate covered almonds in, this cookie has got it happening. After stumbling upon this recipe from Lindsay Yeo's blog, I felt I had to make them, especially after reading her little link to the strange amount of flour used - it was so intriguing, so scientific, so me!
What drew me in was, not only did she title them "the best ever" but "the best ever SOFT chocolate chip cookies." I love soft cookies! Give me chewy and soft over crunchy any day! These are perfectly soft, just as she said they would be, but they did have just a bit of an outer crunch of a shell, which made them awesome.

The almonds added a nice crunch and had delicious almond scent from the extract. I threw them in because I had them on hand, but the next time I want to try a real almond chocolate chip cookie, I'll have to try these. And if you want the classic, go ahead and leave the almonds and extract out!
"Best Ever Soft Chocolate Chip (Almond) Cookies"
Yields: about 5 dozen
Adapted from here.

360 grams flour (about 2 3/4 + 1/8 cup) Scientific explanation here.
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
2 large eggs
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, chopped
1 1/2 cups chocolate covered almonds, roughly choppped

Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Melt the butter in a large bowl on low in the microwave or on the stove. Add the sugar, brown sugar, vanilla and whisk until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually stir in the flour mixture, then fold in the chocolate chips. Refrigerate overnight. To bake, preheat the oven to 375 F. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for 9 minutes or until light brown around the edges.

10 comments:

  1. Sorry for the blogger troubles. I haven't noticed any issues but I guess my layout is super simple. These cookies look fantastic! Soft chewy cookies are my favorite, too. My bf loves the crunchy ones, so he gets the batches I accidentally leave in too long 8D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked them, your's look GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ anonymous: oops I did not add cinnamon to the recipe, it is now fixed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i want to bake these, but using cookie cutters - do you think that would work? if so, any tips on using cookie cutters for choc.chip cookies? ...instead of using cookie cutters for the usual sugar cookie/gingerbread cookie

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ lily: Hmm, the batter here is your typical cookie dough, as in not as sturdy as a regular cookie, so I am not sure it would work. Plus, I think the chocolate chips would get in the way of the cookie cutter and prevent it from looking clean. You could try slightly freezing the dough before rolling, but I wouldn't recommend these with cookie cutters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love chocolate chips. Will try baking this over the weekend. Thanks for sharing. Yummylicious!:D

    ReplyDelete
  7. These choco chip cookies looks very yummy and healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've just made these cookies and they are to DIE for. I didn't chill the dough overnight, though I did pop it in the freezer for a half hour - they came out perfectly. Wonderful recipe! http://instagram.com/p/oeQO2uFMt7/

    ReplyDelete