Thursday, September 16, 2010

Root Beer Float Cupcakes


I've been wanting to make Root Beer cupcakes for I don't even know how long, but there were always only two options: use root beer extract or use just root beer, which I've often heard doesn't impart much flavor into the cake. Then, I saw Baking Bites feature a new kind of root beer recipe, using root beer syrup!
I have to tell you, I was pretty excited. In her recipe, Nicole uses a store bought root beer syrup, but also provides directions on how to make the syrup with regular root beer, yipee! This recipe was pretty simple, and making the syrup was super simple too, so that was nice.

These cakes had a tight crumb and were moist, but sadly, I didn't achieve as much root beer flavor as I would have wanted. Maybe, after all, I will have to use root beer extract or real root beer syrup. Though, these were delicious nonetheless! Of course, topped with ice cream, how could it not be? The root beer glaze added some flavor too, but still, not enough to my liking :(

Root Bear Float Cupcakes
Yields: 12 cupcakes
Original recipe here.

For the root beer syrup:
1 (12 oz.) bottle or can of non-diet root beer

For the cupcakes:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
6 tbsn. butter, room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup root beer syrup
1/3 cup milk
vanilla ice cream, to serve (optional)

For the root beer glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsn. root beer syrup
approx. 1 tbsn. water

To make the syrup, pour the root beer into a sauce pan and reduce it over medium heat until you have just over 1/3 of a cup left, set aside until ready to use. To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a cupcake tin with liners and set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture, followed by the root beer syrup. Mix in another 1/3 of the flour mixture, followed by the milk. Stir in the remaining flour until no dry streaks remain. Bake for 16 - 18 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely. To make the glaze, whisk together all the ingredients until the mixture is smooth and thin enough to drizzle easily. Add additional water if you want the glaze to be thinner.

11 comments:

  1. Dear me, this is my idea of heaven! I am a HUGE fan of root beer floats.. I have it as often as I humanly can and this is just CRAZY!!! :) I love it :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh me lord, these look sooo good. Love root beer floats but can't even remember the last time I had one. I'm sure this is tasty, but do keep us posted if you achieve a more root beer-y version :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I wish my baking creations looked that pretty! You should try these banana chocolate chunk cupcakes. They are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Kathryn: that recipe looks awesome! especially with the buttermilk in the batter. definitely bookmarked!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos! Too bad it didn't come out as you wanted though :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are adorable! I love the drippy root beer glaze on the ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos! I must make these cupcakes for my daughter, who is the biggest root beer fan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a very beautiful cupcake! I never really liked root beer that much but this is much interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What kind of frosting did you use?

    ReplyDelete