Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Ube Mochi Cake

Purple yams, ube, whatever you may call them, are delicious. Lately, my house has been inhaling these beautiful little sweet potatoes. Purple yams are best in their natural state, simply steamed and eaten quite simply. But of course, being me, I had to fiddle with perfection.
Did you know that purple yams are extremely healthy too? They are full of vitamin C, antioxidants, fiber, potassium, and fat free! Well doesn't really matter much after you put it into this cake haha! But when eating them alone, remember all of these benefits!

This is actually a new mochi cake recipe that I am using. My friend, Kim, modified her original recipe and gave me this delicious new one. I simply just added some purple yam puree to it and called it a day. OH and I also made another red bean version, pictured below. To be honest, as beautiful as it might be, I was disappointed in this cake. It really had no discernible purple yam taste, which made me sad. But, despite this, it was still delicious as a mochi cake - so, do not expect ube flavor from this cake - just sayin'!

Mmm close up of delicious chewy cake!
The red bean version, before baking:
The ube/ purple yam version, before baking:

Ube/ Purple Yam Mochi Cake
Yields: 10 - 15 servings
Original recipe from my friend, Kim.

1 box of Mochiko flour
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 can coconut milk
1 3/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups ube puree OR 1 can of sweetened, prepared red beans
- To make: boil the ube until cooked through (a knife easily goes in and out), cool, then puree in a blender until smooth

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Mix the first 6 ingredients together until well combined. Lastly, fold in the ube puree until thoroughly combined. Pour into a large rectangular pan, cover with foil, and bake for 1 hour (usually takes a little bit longer).

The red bean version:

21 comments:

  1. Making ube mochi has been on my to-do list for a while. It's interesting that your recipe does not require eggs, but that seems to solve the problem I usually have baking with ube (the eggs mixing with the ube makes the purple color disappear). I'm going to try your recipe out. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how unusual. i've never seen anything quite like that before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks amazing, I love mochi of any kind.

    I love the photography on your blog! Great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AH! purple yams are delicious, i have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, those look delicious. I love purple yams and have never seen them presented that well :) Glad to have stumbled across your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a huge fan if ube and this is certainly a must-try recipe. Thank you for sharing!!
    Jun

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is this an 'other little lovely'? Well, it looks delicious, so I'll count it as such! Yum...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my... I am in love with your blog!
    Just found it about 10 minutes ago via foodgawker and I am in heaven. I'll definitely be trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful blog! With all my favourite ingredients:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am loving these colorful mochi cake variations. They look wonderfully gooey, just as all sticky rice treats should be. Never tasted a purple yam before but sounds like it's about time I do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those cakes look wonderful, I can't wait to try the recipe!

    I was wondering though, how many cups or grams is a box of Mochiko flour? I usually buy a different brand of sweet rice flour as I can't get Mochiko here, so more info would be appreciated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Julia: The box of Mochiko flour that I use is 454 grams/ 16 oz.

    Hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Christina: I use a sheet cake pan or you can use a small square brownie pan, but if so, you have to use it twice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Michelle, can the left overs be frozen and defrosted for later eating? I usually buy frozen diafuku at the Asia Mart is why I ask:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ TattingBina: I've never tried it but I see no reason why it can't! If it does work, let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi. What size is the pan of the rectangular pan? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi! how many cups or ounces is 1 can of coconut milk? thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ Anonymous: 1 can of coconut milk is 13.5 fluid ounces :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. what does covering it with foil during the making process do?

    ReplyDelete
  20. What kind of milk do you use? Is it evaporated or whole milk?

    ReplyDelete