Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Spooktacular Cupcakes

These are some cupcakes I made for an upcoming event for my club at school, The Flying Samaritans. It's an amazing club and I'm so proud to be a part of it! It was only a matter of time until I made some cupcakes for them. We are gonna be selling these to help fundraise for our club, I hope people will like them!
Furry Swamp Monsters!


Blood Bones!

Brains!

Spiderwebs!

Mummies!
I didn't have much time so I used boxed cake mixes. But I did make my own Swiss meringue buttercream! I used Martha's recipe but let me warn you, this recipe makes SO much frosting. I made 36 cupcakes and I still think that I had enough frosting left over to frost another 36! Even though the recipe said it was only for 28! Make sure to cut the recipe in half if you aren't making a ginormous amount of cupcakes!

Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Yield: enough for 40 - 50 + cupcakes
Original recipe can be found here.


2 1/2 cups sugar
10 large egg whites
8 sticks/ 4 cups of unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Place sugar and egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer. Set over a pan of simmering water and whisk until the sugar has dissolved and the egg whites are hot to the touch, about 3 minutes. Test by rubbing the mixture between your fingers, it should feel completely smooth. Transfer the bowl back to the standing mixer and using the whisk attachment, whisk on high speed until mixture has cooled and forms stiff and glossy peaks, about 10 minutes. Add the butter, a little at a time and beat after each addition. DO NOT WORRY if it starts to look like it curdled, keep mixing and it should eventually become smooth again. Beat in vanilla and just mix until combined. Enjoy!

To make the furry swamp monsters:
I used a smaller star tip and just piped small stars around the whole cupcake surface until it was covered. I used M&Ms for the eyes and edible ink pens for the irises.

To make the blood bones:
I used a 2D closed star tip to frost on the frosting. To make the bones I used red candy melts, melted them, then put them into a ziplock bag with the tip cut off to pipe out bone shapes. After they hardened, I added them to the cupcakes.

To make the brains:
I used a medium sized circular tip, first divided the cupcake through the center then swirled the tip around to fill each hemisphere of the brain.

To make the spiderwebs:
I used an offset spatula to spread some dark grey frosting in a thin layer across the top of the cupcake as a base. Then I used a small circular tip filled with white frosting to pipe concentric circles on the top of the cupcake. Then I used a toothpick to drag the frosting from the center out to the edge of the cupcake.

To make the mummies:
I used a rectangular basketweave tip to pipe lines in random ways across the top of the cupcake. I used M&Ms for eyes and used edible ink pens to make the irises.

6 comments:

  1. FANTASTIC! I would love to celebrate halloween just to make these fantastic cupcakes. They are so creative. So wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle - These are SO awesome! How do I join this club ;-)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This are so cute! The swamp monsters are my favourite! They also remind me a bit of Oscar the Grouch from Sesame Street.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are adorable! I recently saw the brain frosting idea on MS and wanted to try it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great! I can't wait to start my halloween cupcake making....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you have fun tonight! <3 those are beautiful, they will definitely be sold out ;)

    -Christina

    ReplyDelete