Saturday, October 3, 2009

Cinnamon, Pecan & White Chocolate Caramel Corn

Never have I ever. Or... never did I ever think that I would make my own caramel corn. It's up there with oreos, poptarts or bread. Those are some things that are in the "things I don't ever think I'll make." But guess what? I made it and it was delicious... no wait, amazing! And now I'm contemplating those other things on my list because well, I can do it!


This is how the mixture should look after the second round of microwaving:
Make sure to toss the mixture well!
Cinnamon Caramel Corn with Pecans & White Chocolate

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2009/09/cinnamon-caramel-corn-with-pecans-white.html


12 cups popped popcorn

1 cup roughly chopped pecans

1 cup brown sugar

3/4 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 cup Karo syrup or honey

1 stick or 1/2 cup butter

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. vanilla

3 squares almond bark


Preheat oven to 250 F. Place popcorn and chopped pecans in a large bowl and set aside (and by large I mean twice as large as you really need to prevent splattered hot caramel). Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a big, microwave safe bowl. Chop butter into chunks and place it on top of the sugar mixture, pour corn syrup over the top of everything. Microwave on high for 30 seconds and then stir to combine. Return to microwave and heat for 2 minutes, remove and stir then microwave 2 minutes more and it should be nice and bubbly. Remove from the microwave and add the vanilla and baking soda, it should foam up and double in size. Pour over popcorn and pecans and stir well until everything is well coated.


Spread mixture onto a foil lined pan and place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. After 30 minutes, take out a piece and let it cool. Sample it and if it is still not crunchy enough, let it bake for another 5 minutes, repeat process until satisfied with crunchiness. When done, give it a final stir and let it cool while you melt the almond bark/ white chocolate. Use a fork to drizzle the melted bark over the popcorn, let it harden and enjoy!


A great movie/ tv snack!

2 comments:

  1. Michelle, I made this a couple of weeks ago and it was insanely good! Definitely one of those recipes that needs to be repeated often! :) Yours look great!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete