Sunday, October 25, 2009

Little Debbie's Oatmeal Cream Pies

When I was a kid I loved Little Debbie's Oatmeal Cream Pies. They were sickly sweet and sticky goodness. Oh, and I'm sorry, but I lied before... I STILL love them, die for them, would do gross, unnecessary things to get my hands on them. So it seems natural that I would try to bake them right? No! Why would I want to mess with its perfection all individually wrapped in a cute little film wrapper?!?! But I easily caved in after I heard numerous raves of a certain copy-cat recipe.

After attempting to make this cookie, it's quite clear that the Little Debbie gods have it in for me. First, I somehow stupidly measured powdered sugar rather than flour and they disintegrated into flat liquid things when I baked them (don't ask me how I made that mistake, I'm not quite sure myself)! Pissed, I started over certain I would be successful. Well the cookies came out all right (as pictured above) and they were definitely delicious but something irked me... the cookies were so soft that they would just fall apart with a single touch! Basically, I think I'll stick to the box (I'm ashamed, don't judge me...).

Oatmeal Cream Pies

Yields: about 2 dozen

Original recipe can be found here.


For the cookies:

1 cup margarine

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

2 tbsn. molasses

1 tsp. vanilla

2 eggs

1 1/2 cups flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking soda

1/8 tsp. cinnamon

1 1/2 cups quick oats


For the cream:

2 tsp. hot water

1/4 tsp. salt

1 jar marshmallow cream

1/2 cup shortening

1/3 cup powdered sugar

1/2 tsp. vanilla


Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, cream the margarine, sugars, molasses, vanilla and eggs together. Combine the flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon and add to the creamed mixture. Mix in the oats. Drop the dough by the tablespoon onto un-greased baking sheets. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until edges start to brown, do NOT overcook! They will look moist when you take them out. In a small bowl dissolve the salt into the hot water and allow this to cool. Combine the marshmallow, shortening, powdered sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl, mix until light and fluffy. Add the cooled salt mixture in and mix well. Spread the filling on the flat side of one cookie, top with the flat side of another cookie. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Would it be wrong to tell you I love you?! :) Oatmeal Cream Pies are my FAV!!!!!! Thanks soooo much for this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No judgin' here, but if you can't do it then I don't stand a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I was just having a bad baking day Viola haha :) I'm sure if luck is on your side, you'll kill this recipe!

    ReplyDelete