Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Healthy Oatmeal Pumpkin Muffins

It's fall. The weather might not agree, but the mood just reads fall. Do you know how I know it's fall? I know when I start to crave all things pumpkin; when my mind won't linger off of the topic of pumpkin. I... can't... get... it... out... of... my... MIND.

That's why I made these. Fall also marks the beginning of school for me. Times when I need something that sustains me yet is easy to bring around. Muffins qualify as a school-friendly snack to me. You can grab them and just go. But these? These will keep you satisfied since they're filled with loads of oats and yummy fall-ish pumpkin flavor.

They're made with whole wheat flour, just a smidgen of sugar and oats. So that way you can snack and still feel good about it, well even feel great about it, since it tastes so yummy! Without the glaze it's more like a pumpkin bread but I think the glaze added the right amount of sweetness to qualify it as a muffin.

Healthy Oatmeal Pumpkin Muffins

Yields: 12 muffins

Slightly adapted from here.


Printable Recipe


For the streusel:

2 tbsn. pumpkin puree

2 tbsn. honey

2/3 cup quick cooking oats

1/2 tsp. cinnamon


For the muffins:

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour

1 1/4 cups quick cooking oats

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. ground ginger

1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg

1/8 tsp. ground allspice

1 cup pumpkin puree

1/2 cup mashed ripe bananas, about 1 large banana or 2 small

1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar

2 tbsn. canola oil

1 large egg, lightly beaten


For the glaze (optional):

1/8 cup brown sugar

1 tbsn. milk/ half and half/ whatever you have on hand

1 tbsn. butter

1 tbsn. pumpkin puree

1/2 cup powdered sugar, as much as needed


Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a muffin tin with liners, set aside. In a bowl combine the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. In another bowl combine the pumpkin, bananas, brown sugar, oil and egg. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the liquid mixture. Stir together until incorporated. To make the streusel, combine the pumpkin, honey and cinnamon. Mix well, then mix in the oats, set aside. Divide batter evenly among muffin tin, top with streusel and bake for 16 - 18 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. To make the optional glaze, combine the brown sugar, milk and butter in a small saucepan. Heat until sugar is melted. Pour into small bowl, let cool a little then add in the puree and powdered sugar, mix well. Glaze each cooled muffin with 1 teaspoon of glaze. Enjoy!


13 comments:

  1. Mmm those look and sound just wonderful. Love that you put pumpkin in the glaze itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum.

    These look amazing.

    Warm pumpkin muffins...

    perfect for chilly fall day.

    By the way, great job on the site.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got nutmeg listed twice as an ingredient. Can you clarify?

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmMMm!
    i'm going to try these for sure!!
    i loveee pumkin =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going to bake these right now. Without the glaze... so I can send them as a healthy food in my son's lunch. Yummy!!! I have three little boys and a husband to try them out on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was about to make these and I was wondering which type of oats did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just made pumpkin oat muffins this morning! I use whole wheat flour also. These look tasty. The topping is a neat idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Printable Recipe" linked page still has
    1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
    1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
    rather than
    1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
    1/8 tsp. ground allspice

    ReplyDelete
  9. These were delicious! I used 1/2 baby oatmeal and 1/2 quick oatmeal and they a huge hit!!!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found these through google... and am so glad I did! They turned out GREAT!

    ReplyDelete