Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Red Velvet Black & White Cookies

I've always wondered about the mystery that is the Black & White cookie. It seemed like a mystical fantasy cookie to me because I've often heard of it, seen it on blogs far far away, but have never ever tasted one or seen one in a real life bakery. All I knew was that it was delicious (as I had heard many, many times) and I wondered why it was missing from my life!!! So I decided to give them a go and they were definitely yummy. Only strife is that I think the vanilla glaze tastes a little too powdered sugary or fake, next time I'll try flavoring it a little better!

So Joy the Baker once asked her readers, "How do you eat a Black & White cookie?" And sadly, then I was not able to answer. But now, here's my secret: I like to eat right down the middle, then chomp away the vanilla and save the best for last, the chocolate glaze! Delicious if I don't say so myself.


Red Velvet Black & White Cookies

Yields: about 10 large cookies

Original recipe from Joy the Baker, which can be found here.


Printable Recipe


For the cookies:

1 1/4 cup flour

1 tbsn. cocoa powder

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. baking soda

5 tbsn. butter, room temperature

3/4 cup sugar

1 egg

1 tbsn. red food coloring

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1/2 cup buttermilk


For vanilla glaze:

2 cups powdered sugar

1 tsp. light corn syrup

1/2 tsp. vanilla extract


For chocolate glaze:

4 oz. semi sweet chocolate

3 tbsn. butter

1 tbsn. light corn syrup



Preheat oven to 350 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. In medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Using a mixer, combine the butter with the sugar until fluffy, then beat in the food coloring and the vanilla. Mix in the flour alternately with the buttermilk until well combined and smooth. Place 1/4 cup scoops of batter 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets and spread the batter with a butter knife, but do not make them completely flat, about 1 cm thick. Bake until an inserted toothpick into the center comes out dry, about 10 - 13 minutes. Let the cookies sit for about 5 minutes then transfer them to a rack to cool completely.


To make the glazes, whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla and corn syrup. Add 2 tbsn. of hot water, stir until smooth. In a seperate bowl melt the butter with the chocolate in the microwave for about 1 minute. Add the syrup and stir until smooth. Once the cookies have cooled, face them bottom side up on a clean surface. Spread half of the cookie with vanilla glaze and the other half with chocolate glaze. Refrigerate for 20 minutes to allow the glazes to set and enjoy!


5 comments:

  1. OHHH my these look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope! Vanilla glaze all the way baby! :)

    I've had the real deal before but not a red velvet version. Looks good!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  3. popped by your blog & thought I'd say hi. great recipes! need to try the chai cupcakes one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i tried these this week & they were super good!!
    but, mine were a lot thicker & cake-like than it looks in the picture. also, i ended up not using the egg by following the instructions....
    nonetheless, they were delish & my friends & fam loved them.

    thank youu~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am definitely going to try these this weekend!! I saw them on joy the baker's site, and now that I saw them again, they are on my must make list. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete