Saturday, May 23, 2009

Mascarpone Cupcakes with Mango & Berry Glaze

Another 310 Purple Cupcake! This one was probably the easiest out of the whole batch! It uses a box cupcake mix (shhhhh!) and I was hesitant at first but after reading hundreds, and I really do mean hundreds, of great reviews on it, I decided to give it a try! They were SO delicious that I decided to make them again! The second time, varying the recipe a bit by trying a mango glaze as well. I really couldn't resist as mangos are my favorite fruit and are in their peak right now.


 Each were delicious though the mango flavor didn't translate as well as the berry did... sadness! But these cupcakes are amazing and beyond moist and creamy! Have you ever heard of a creamy cupcake??? Well that's the only way to describe it... CREAMYYY. Originally the cupcake was intended for mini-cupcakes but I made them into full sized cupcakes. I didn't think it was important then but these cupcakes are extremely fragile and break apart easily so as long as you don't mind cracked cupcakes, full sizes are still equally delicious. Cracks are welcome here any time; flawed is gorgeous and in this case, delicious!


Mascarpone Cupcakes with Mango and Berry Glaze
Yields: about
Original recipe from Giada De Laurentiis, which can be found here.


1 cup of mascarpone cheese, softened 
2 egg whites
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 box white cake mix
1 cup water
1/3 cup frozen berries, thawed and drained OR 1/3 cup fresh mango
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a cupcake pan with liners and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the cheese, egg whites and oil, beat until well combined and creamy. Add the cake mix and water and mix until smooth. Fill the cupcake tin about 2/3 full and tap against the counter to get the air bubbles up. Bake until puffed and golden or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 18 - 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before inverting them. In a blender or food processor puree the berries or the mango. In a bowl combine the sifted powdered sugar and the puree until smooth. Once the cupcakes are cool, add about one tablespoon of glaze per cupcake. Let the glaze set up for a couple of minutes and enjoy!

I made these at night, I just love the lighting!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle,

    Oh yum! Mascarpone in the batter! This looks like breakfast to me.

    ~Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cupcakes look so cute :-). XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this recipe, it's always my go to for quick and yummy cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yea, I'm making this! I love mascarpone cheese and creamy? Yea, you had me with the first creamy. :) Thanks for sharing!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you want more cute cupcake papers go to Crate and barrel. They sell really cute ones.

    ReplyDelete