Monday, June 27, 2011

Manicure Mondays: Glitter Ombre

I'm quite literally obsessed with painting my nails... on a tri-weekly basis. My nails are begging for air, but I can't help it! I just love trying new combinations, techniques and colors on them - especially now that it's summer! I've been seeing ombre nails everywhere lately and I've tried it before, but was never really successful at them... until now.
Ombre basically means color gradation, fading from one color to another or just from darker to lighter. Ombre with solid colors is extremely hard, that's why I kept on failing. But... ombre with glitter... much, much easier and much, much sexier.
I tried two techniques, one with loose glitter and one with a glitter polish. After seeing one of my favorite fashion bloggers give a mini-tutorial, I knew I had to try it. You can look at her blog for the tutorial, since being that I am the one that takes photos and I am the one whose nails I'm doing... it's pretty impossible to give you a tutorial myself!

{what i used}

CND stickey anchoring base coat
ORLY glitz & glamour (base color for all other nails)
OPI spark de triomphe (top glitter coat for all other nails)
Santee rich gold (for the accent nail base color)
Sallygirl sparkle effects loose glitter in gold (glitter for the accent nail)
Seche Vite dry fast topcoat
Nicole by OPI drying drops



For another manicure, I decided to do a glitter ombre manicure again but using a different method. This time, I painted my nails one base color, in this case, a gorgeously metallic foil gold-silver. Can you believe I got this for a buck?! One of my favorite polishes ever.
After letting the base color dry completely, use a glitter polish to gradate glitter from the middle of your nail to the tips. I recommend using a glitter polish that has a combination of both large and small glitters. I used Deborah Lippmann's 'Today was a Fairytale.' It's super pricey but her glitter polishes are way worth it! They are the most unique and gorgeous polishes ever and you can't find anything like them. I also recommend using a glitter polish that isn't opaque, it should be somewhat sheer so that you can build upon the glitter opacity.
Basically, paint one light coat of glitter starting halfway down your nail. Let it dry, then paint another coat a fourth of the way down from the tip. Let it dry again, then add one last layer at the very tip, that way the glitter will be most concentrated at the tip! Ta-da, ombre! Finish off with a topcoat and my favorite invention ever: drying drops - they make your polish dry to the touch in one minute and completely in five - a life saver.

{what i used}

CND stickey anchoring base coat
Santee rich gold
Deborah Lippmann today was a fairytale
Seche Vite dry fast topcoat
Nicole by OPI drying drops



7 comments:

  1. they look AMAZING I love them! I'm going to have to try this :)


    www.dragonnfruit.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I especially love the blue/silver one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're one post away from becoming my home page! I absolutely love every entry.
    Have you tried Sally Hansen salon effects strips (I love Girl Flower)? I want to try it but I can't justify myself spending ten bucks on stickers that will chip in a week!
    The only 'high end' polish I've tried and loved is OPI but I'm going to Target and getting some Essie, do you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Anonymous: Aww that is too sweet! I have tried Sally Hansen nail strips and they are amazeballs!! They are super easy to put on once you kind of get the hang of it and they last forever. I especially love the glitter ones :)

    But, yes, sadly, they are super expensive :( I only bought it because I had a coupon and it was on sale haha. About Essie, I die die die for Essie. It's my all time favorite nail polish. Great brush, classy, gorgeous colors and good quality too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i normally reserve sparkles for around the holidays but this has me wanting to give it a try. so pretty!

    http://lachapstickfanatique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving the metallics! I must try this next! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. GORGEOUS! New follower and I just pinned this :) Found you through an OPI products tweet

    ReplyDelete