Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Spiced Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal

There's nothing quite like oatmeal. I know you've heard me wax on and off about the joys of oatmeal, so I'll stop and leave you here with another delicious version of my favorite.

Pumpkin + Spices + Pecans + Maple Syrup = match made in breakfast heaven!


This oatmeal is hearty, just barely sweetened with a bit of nice crunch from the pecans and warmth from the fall spices. In other words, perfect. Please enjoy!

Spiced Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal
Yields: about 6 - 8 servings
Slightly modified from original recipe, which can be found here.

2 1/2 cups regular rolled oats
1/2 cup steel cut oats
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 cup packed brown sugar (or more to your taste)
2 cups milk

1 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup cooking oil (I used coconut oil)
1 cup pecans, lightly toasted (candied would be even better!)

Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly grease a baking dish, set aside. In a large bowl combine the oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and sugar. In another bowl, combine the milk, pumpkin puree and oil. Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix to combine. Place mixture into a baking dish and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and gently stir the mixture, fold in the 3/4 cup of the pecans, stir again. Bake for another 20 minutes or until top is lightly browned. Serve warm and top with remaining pecans. You can additionally add yogurt, cream, granola, fruit or whatever you'd like!
Give me a bowl of this any day!

12 comments:

  1. What terrific breakfast bar (cookie) ?... oh I have this HUGE bag of oats... I must eat more oats...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you post some good (new and interesting) Cranberry sauce recipes for the upcoming holiday, if you know any of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think you could make ahead your oatmeal and keep in the fridge? If so for how long? And could you make these into a cereal bar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm this looks so tasty, especially for a huge oatmeal fan like myself. The most fall-infused oatmeal I've seen yet :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so right up my alley. Thanks for the inspiration...I can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy cow! I never heard of baked oatmeal. What an interesting idea. Yeah, I rave about oatmeal too - but I don't eat it as often as I should. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this looks delicious! I love your blog. I can't believe I haven't stumbled upon it before!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never baked my own oatmeal before but I definitely love making stovetop oatmeal. The flavors in this sound delicious. It's already bookmarked for me to make!

    ReplyDelete
  9. New THANKSGIVING recipes are in demand! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the mix of both kinds of oats. I will have to try this.. breakfast for a week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What is this glorious madness? I am SO excited to try this. I love love love pumpkin. Can't get enough of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never get tired of new oatmeal recipes...It looks beautiful/delicious!

    ReplyDelete