Saturday, November 27, 2010

Lavender Hot Chocolate

There's something that must be done when you find yourself craving hot chocolate on a daily basis. The only answer is to make yourself some hot chocolate, immediately. When you have milk in your refrigerator and chocolate in your pantry, there really is no excuse not to do so.

Thank gosh, finally, the weather has finally caught up with the season. It's been cold with grey skies and light drizzles - basically, my dream weather. You don't understand how long I've been waiting for it to be winter weather, or better put, how long my closet has been waiting! Coats, jackets, boots and gloves finally get their day to shine outside of my four walls. Yipee!
This lavender scented hot chocolate was yummy. Super rich, filled with great chocolate flavor and just a hint of flowery lavender. But if you don't fancy lavender - I wouldn't suggest it, as it's a love or hate kind of thing. I wouldn't have this hot chocolate every day since it is really rich, but it is a nice indulgent treat for every once and a while. My favorite part is when the whipped cream mixes with the hot chocolate to make a frothy little concoction that is impossible to resist.


A well paired treat to a wintery cold day! I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving! My family had bunches of food galore and of course lots of desserts ;)

Lavender Hot Chocolate
Yields: 2 servings
Original recipe here.

Notes: since the lavender is fragrant, adjust the amount according to your preference. For a creamier hot chocolate, a 1:1 ratio or dark to milk chocolate can be used. 

For the hot chocolate:
2 cups whole milk
3 oz. dark chocolate (70% cacao)
1 oz. milk chocolate
1/4 tsp. lavender buds

For the whipped cream:
1/2 cup cold heavy whipping cream
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract or seeds from 1/4 of a vanilla bean pod
1/2 tbsn. sugar

For the whipped cream, place the cold cream, vanilla and sugar into a cold mixing bowl. Beat the mixture with a whisk or mixer until stiff peaks form. Keep refrigerated until ready for use. For the hot chocolate, beat the milk and lavender over medium heat, whisking occasionally until the milk begins to simmer. Remove from the heat and let the lavender steep for 5 minutes. Strain the lavender and return the milk to the saucepan. Over medium heat, add the chocolate and mix until the chocolate is melted and incorporated. Whisk the milk mixture for 10 - 20 seconds or until frothy. Pour into a large mug and serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
Gorgeous lavender buds:
Good chocolate is necessary!

20 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this idea. Today was the first snowfall of the year. You can bet you'll know what I'll be drinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite thing in the world is homemade hot chocolate. There's nothing better in the cold of winter. The addition of lavender is inspired. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds and looks utterly amazing..but, I can't eat lavender type foods.. I tried but I can't get the smell/image out of my mouth that I clean with lavender based sprays...still, if I could, I bet I'd love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummmm. I love lavender!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotta say I always get a headache from lavender, but it's so pretty I wish I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious! I might just forgo the lavender garnish myself, however. Reminds me of when I made hot buttered rum and there were whole cloves in the butter. I bit down on one of those and it nearly ruined the whole thing!

    Not that lavender buds are nearly as strongly flavored- but now I'm a little shy with my partially edible garnishes and aromatics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tell me about chocolate fixes. I need them so often. Looks divine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum~ definitely trying this tonight. (Upping the lavender though... for some reason I kind of love the perfume-y taste).

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a combination! I've never tried it but it sounds interesting enough... and we have always fresh lavender in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a flavour for hot chocolate. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ok, now that just looks decadent and delicious! Your photographs are amazing too, look straight out of a home and garden magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just reading your blog makes me hungry. I was looking for a Lavender Hot Chocolate recipe and found yours. I posted a link to your post and I was wondering if I could also post your macaroon recipe? Let me know. Thanks, ~ Carli
    The Lavender Lady

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ The Lavender Lady: Of course you can post my macaron recipe! Just link me :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous!! Perfect for winter and the photography is fab as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. seriously amazing !!! I have to do this one of these days !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Look`s really great. I`ll try it on this saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just letting you know that I linked to this post on my page about Gourmet Hot Chocolate Recipes: http://www.zujava.com/gourmet-hot-chocolate-recipe

    ReplyDelete