Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Thai Mangos with Coconut Sticky Rice

Sticky rice has been one of my long time loves. Really, I grew up on the stuff. We (Vietnamese people) have all kinds of variation on sticky rice, whether it be sweet versions or savory - both of which I am enamored with deeply. But I think one of my absolute favorite versions is the one the Thais have perfected.
Yep. It's utterly heavenly. Sweet rice that's mixed with some lightly sweetened coconut milk then topped with some perfectly ripe mango. Really, I don't think it gets better than this. Seriously though, it doesn't.
This recipe is overall pretty simple. I steamed the rice but I think it would easier and perfectly fine if you just used a rice cooker to cook the rice. Also, in the recipe I used it had a comment about soaking the rice overnight as opposed to 1 hour. Since the rice I made was a bit toothier than I wanted, I suggest soaking it overnight!

Thai Mango with Coconut Sticky Rice

Yields: 2 larger or 4 smaller servings

Original recipe here.


1 cup Thai sweet or sticky rice, available in Asian grocery stores

1 can coconut milk, unshaken

3 tbsn. raw or white sugar, divided

1 tsp. salt, divided

1/2 tsp. cornstarch

2 ripe mangos, peeled, seeded and sliced

toasted sesame seeds and mint, to garnish


Soak the sticky rice in some water overnight. When ready to use, drain the rice and rinse it thoroughly. Then pour 1 cup of water into a saucepan and place the rice in a steamer insert inside the saucepan. Cover tightly and steam over low to medium heat for 20 minutes. White the rice is steaming, make the first sauce. You will make two coconut sauces to go on the rice: one thin one to mix into the rice itself and a thicker sauce to spoon over the top. Start by opening the can of coconut milk and spooning out the thick cream on top. Place the thicker coconut cream into a small bowl (you should have about 1/2 a cup). Pour the thinner, lighter coconut milk left in the can into a small saucepan (it will be a little over 1 cup). Stir in 2 tbsn. sugar and 3/4 tsp. of salt. Warm over medium heat, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes. Do not let the sauce boil.


By now the rice should be done and the grains should be tender and shiny. Spoon the rice out into a bowl (the rice should be clumpy). Slowly pour the warm coconut milk over the rice in the bowl, stirring frequently. You want the milk to coat the rice but not leave puddles. Keep stirring, and stop pouring the coconut milk when it looks like the rice is saturated. You may not use all of the milk. While the rice is standing, make the coconut topping sauce. Rinse out the coconut milk saucepan and pour in the coconut cream. Stir in 1 tbsn. sugar and 1/4 tsp. salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together a few tsp. of water and the cornstarch. Whisk the cornstarch slurry into the coconut cream and cook over low heat for about 3 minutes or until the mixture thickens considerably. Set aside. To serve, place about 1/3 cup of cooked sticky rice onto each plate, arrange mango sliced around it and top with the coconut sauce, sesame seeds and mint. Enjoy!

Dig in!!!!

13 comments:

  1. argh! i cannot believe that i have yet to mango sticky rice after all of these years of seeing and hearing about it on restaurant menus! your post has inspired me to fix this immediately. lucky i have mangoes at home! ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh,agree with you girl; it doesn't gets better than this.

    I can eat mango sticky rice forever.

    and ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. since my family & I have been gluten & dairy free we love sticky rice! I always have it on hand. Question though, once you have cooked it, is there a way to store it for a day or so? I noticed it does not do well in fridge.

      Delete
  3. What a delicious combination of ingredients!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just thinking last night that I haven't had mango sticky rice in a while! haha. Yours looks gorgeous. I love mango sticky rice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks absolutely juicy and amazing, Michelle. One of my favorite desserts at Thai restaurants, but so much fresher and cheaper made at home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUMM!! One of my favourite mango desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. gosh i could really use this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i really love your blog and this is my ABSOLUTE fave so thanks so much for posting this!! i attempted to make it before with a recipe i found from some random recipe site, but it was an utter FAIL. i'm excited to try this out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since my family & I have become gluten and dairy free we love sticky rice. However, how do you store it after you have cooked it? I noticed it doesn't do well in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, it doesn't do that well in the fridge so I try to make it for my family so that way we can finish it and not have to put it in the fridge. But if I do have to put it in the fridge, I just take care in re-heating it and if it gets dry I just add some more coconut milk to it :)

      Delete
  10. almost identical to this article
    http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-thai-mango-with-co-122430
    who stole from who?

    ReplyDelete
  11. As you can see, I cited the recipe's source above...

    ReplyDelete