Monday, April 20, 2009

How to Make Cupcake Flags


Cupcake flags are cute little additions to cupcakes, cakes, etc. I like to make them to add personalized messages to things that I bake. They are super easy to make and instantly add something special.

What you will need:
Scrapbook paper/ Colored paper/ Patterned paper
Glue stick
Toothpicks
Beads (optional)


1. First, gather your scrapbooking supplies such as glue sticks, printed papers, etc.
2. You will also need toothpicks and pretty beads, but beads are completely optional as I have made cupcake flags without beads, which can be seen here.
3. First, grab a bead and put it on one tip of the toothpick. The hole in the bead should not be big enough to go all the way down the toothpick. Mine stopped right at the top. Pushing down with enough pressure should set the bead so that it will not fall off.
4. Using scissors, cut 1 cm strips from your chosen paper. They should be about 3 - 4 inches in length. Apply your glue stick to the entire back of the paper strip and fold the paper around the toothpick just below the bead. Make sure the paper is well stuck together and run your fingers along the paper to remove any air bubbles.

5. Type up some cute messages on your computer and print them out. You can also hand write these.
6. Next, cut them out and paste them to your newly made flags. Top them on cakes, cupcakes, whatever! Enjoy!

And on the finished product:

24 comments:

  1. Such a cool idea and one I won't forget! They really make these cupcakes stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what font was that?! i loved the way the font looked! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's called "Two Turtle Doves." I actually downloaded it off a blog on the internet, so maybe you can just search that name to find it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could also print directly on patterned paper and then cut out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy you posted this. Have been thinking for awhile about trying this out, but like being able to follow your simple instruction! :) They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, I've seen those but it hadn't dawned on me to make my own!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this..The bead makes it so much more perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those stuffed cupcakes look good. I like the flower petal decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are adorable (and look delicious)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are such a quick and effective idea xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What do you use to get the perfect "curl/swoop" w/ the frosting on top of the cupcake?

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Katie: I just used a 1M wilton tip and used a circular motion to form a mound on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  14. where did you get the beads? what size should i get?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I usually get my beads from Michaels, they should be a small to medium size bead, but just check the hole in the center, it should not be larger than a toothpick!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just found your blog and love these.....cannot wait to make a few for Valentine's Day cupcakes! =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this idea! I'm going to try it when we take our cupcakes to the local market! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for this adorable post and idea!

    Afer I read your blog I ran down to my local craft store and whipped out some flags for a cupcake party. They were a hit and really make cupcakes look professional!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello from Thailand!

    Your cupcake flags are so cute and I like them. I've just tried to decorate my cupcakes. Sometime I make cupcakes topper by the stamping work. I show some of them in my blog, http://chic-ideas.blogspot.com/2010/09/chocolate-cupcake.html. Next time I'll try your idea. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are brilliant! I love the beads on the end of the flags.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow that a good idea, thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks a lot it is a great guide, now to make cupcake flags is simple by using your guidance. Kudos

    ReplyDelete