Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Lunch

What did you eat for Easter? Well, this is what we ate: spring rolls. We had little burners all throughout our long tables and filled them with thin cut beef, sliced onions, squid, and shrimp. Then we took our moist rice paper and filled them with the mixture, fresh mint, lettuce, and rice noodles. And to top it off, dipped them in some fresh Vietnamese pineapple sauce. I love my sauce with a little hot sauce (Siracha), yummy! Oh yeah... and my grandma made her famous egg rolls too! These are a must at all of our family get-togethers.





For dessert, my mom made this absolutely DEEEEE-licious "tat" or jello. The night before, she opened up 9 whole coconuts and took their juice, mixed it with sugar and this special gelatin that she bought from Vietnam from her recent trip. Then on the top she added a layer of fresh coconut mixed in with coconut milk! The jello was soft and super jiggly, unlike most traditional "tat" which is more firm and hard. I could just imagine eating this every day for the rest of my life! So fresh and perfect on a hot day. My mom has already asked her friend to express ship more of this special gelatin to us ASAP!

4 comments:

  1. Oh,that sounds wonderful and lots of fun making your own to suit everyone's tastes. I love coconut desserts especially ones that don't add chocolate into the mix.

    Glad to hear you had a nice Easter!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  2. How delicious! Is there a Vietnamese name for this way of cooking/dish?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG. I love love sriracha. I use it in everything. Your pictures are gorgeous. It looks like it was a great meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is good to know that my family is not the only one that makes eggrolls for family events. We made them for Christmas and Easter. It is part of my husband's family's traditions, and I am glad to be a part of it!

    ReplyDelete