Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Pioneer Woman's Cinnamon Rolls

Believe every word when I say, you absolutely have to make these at some point in your life.
Pioneer Woman. I swear, that woman is a goddess to me. Never have I ever had so many successful recipes from one site. Successful is even a bit of an understatement. What I meant to say was wondrous, spectacular, and bewitching. Wow these babies are good... mmmm.
My sister actually made these while I documented. This recipe makes oodles, so I think it's the perfect gift. Just pre-bake them, drizzle them in heavenly glaze then give them away and instruct your receivers to just pop in the oven for about 5 minutes to warm them up. My sister even made them in these little to-go foil pans that came with plastic tops and everything! So precious!
OMGGGGG please, please make these. I ate two right as they came out of the oven, and I surely could have scarfed down the whole plate... shame on me!
Pioneer Woman's Fabulous Cinnamon Rolls
Yields: about 8 pans worth (8 rolls per pan)
Original recipe can be found here.


For the rolls:
1 quart whole milk
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
2 packages dry active yeast
8 cups, plus 1 cup extra (separated) flour
1 heaping tsp. baking powder
1 scant tsp. baking soda
1 heaping tbsn. salt
3 - 4 cups melted butter
2 cups sugar
generous sprinkling of cinnamon

For the frosting:
1 bag powdered sugar
2 tsp. maple flavoring
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup brewed coffee
1/8 tsp. salt

Mix the milk, vegetable oil and sugar in a pan. "Scald" the mixture (heat just before boiling point). Turn off heat and leave to cool for 45 minutes to 1 hour. When mixture is lukewarm to warm, but NOT hot, sprinkle in both packages of yeast. Let sit for a minute, then add 8 cups of flour, stir mixture together, cover and let rise for at least an hour.

After rising, add 1 more cup of flour, the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir mixture together. At this point you could cover the dough and refrigerate until you need it, overnight or even a day or two, if necessary. Just keep your eye one it and if it starts to overflow out of the pan, just punch it down. When ready to prepare the rolls, sprinkle rolling surface generously with flour. Take half the dough and form into a rectangle. Roll the dough thin, maintaining a general rectangular shape. Drizzle 1 1/2 to 2 cups of melted butter over the dough. Now sprinkle 1 cup sugar over the butter followed by a generous sprinkling of cinnamon.

Now starting at the opposite end, begin rolling the dough in a neat line toward you. Keep the roll relatively tight as you go, next pinch the seam of the roll to seal it. Spread 1 tbsn. melted butter in a seven inch round foil cake or pie pan. Then begin cutting the rolls about 3/4 to 1 inch thick and laying them in the buttered pans. Repeat with the other half of the dough, let rolls rise for 20 - 30 minutes, then bake at 375 F until light golden brown, about 15 - 18 minutes.

For the frosting, mix together all ingredients listed and stir well until smooth. It should be thick but pourable. Taste and adjust as needed. Generously drizzle over the warm rolls, don't skimp on the frosting!
Mmmmmm maple glaze...
I'm going in people!

25 comments:

  1. Oh, I love pioneer woman too! I will have to try them soon! Thanks for another great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look wonderful - I want one too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your pictures they are really professional

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gift "sent from God"??? And you think that this opportunistic, gold-bricking, untrained, over-the-hill woman is a 'goddess'?

    Oh, sweetie, you REALLY need to get a life --- or at least, to get out more.

    Pillsbury canned cinnamon rolls taste better than 'Ree's' garbage.

    BUT, on a positive note, your photography is very good, and your sense of adventure is refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, exactly, a "gift sent from God," because every little thing that is beautiful and brings joy to this world is a gift from God.

    I appreciate your advice and your opinions, even though I prefer to disagree. I have a life that I love and I will continue to enjoy these until my belly is full with delight.

    Some advice for you, please enjoy your Thanksgiving rather than spend the time to bash a lovely woman, whom yes, I think is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry, Michelle, I didn't realize (although I should have) that you were vietnamese.

    Therefore, I agree that you should strive to eat those 'gifts from god' until your " .... belly is full with delight."

    I didn't know that vietnamese folks were so into the American holiday of Thanksgiving.

    You do understand, I hope, that MY ancestors arrived in this country via Plimoth Plantation.

    You do understand, I hope, that l lost a foot in vietnam fighting to protect YOU people, who could not, or would not, defend yourselves.

    So save your 'advice' for someone who may or may not appreciate it, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a proud American and a proud Vietnamese and that's that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These cinnamon rolls are beautiful! I love the pictures, and I hope I'll get to try this recipe one day! I absolutely love cinnamon rolls.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelle,
    God bless you and thank you for the recipe and great pics.Forgive the ignorance of some,I doubt a Vietnam vet would be posting on a recipe site,just some pitiful lost soul that wants to make others lives as miserable as thiers.My father was in Nam three times and God Bless America and it's wonderful you are happy here.We have many kind and decent people in America.I appologize for the ignorance that was displayed in these earlier comments.I hope it does not reflect badly on the good people that are here.Since you were so kind to post this recipe and take these photos,feel free to delete my post and those of the classless person who posted thier ignorance earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look amazing!! Nice work, gorgeous pictures

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect rendition of Ree's recipe Michelle. Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that ugliness from DocChuck came out of left field, too bad he lives in that foul and ignorant landscape that is his mind; it was certainly unpleasant to visit it by virtue of his untoward comment, even if for a brief moment.

    Michelle, your simple response was a model of grace and intelligence. And your passion, enthusiasm, and hard work in the name of delicious food are much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look great! Perfect for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or dessert! =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photos and post as always, Michelle. I'm sorry you had to deal with some unpleasant posts above during the holidays, but we LOVE your blog and for you to share your interests with us as long as it brings you joy =).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do have a weakness for cinnamon rolls, and with your urgent plea that we all must make these, well, I have no choice, do I?

    Thanks for sharing! Always love to find a recipe that is almost perfect in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've always been scared to try any recipe that calls for yeast, but your post has won me over. Thanks for the inspiration. P.S. I love P-Dub too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry about the comments from DocChuck - some people just have to make themselves feel better by putting others down.

    I love your blog, recipes and photography!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I apologize profusely for my husband's aggregious behavior. He has not been well lately.

    ReplyDelete
  19. DocChuck, unless you're aboriginal/first nations origin, you're just an immigrant too and it doesn't matter how many generations your people have been here.

    Sometimes I wish the Assembly of First Nations would just rise up and kick all the bigots out...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm thinking about starting a tradition of making cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning and THESE I will make!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful work! Thanks to YOU and all the food bloggers who take the time to (in my opinion) help us all pick winning recipes to please our friends and family!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so happy to have stumbled across your blog--love the recipes and the fashion. Been meaning to make these cinnamon rolls for ages--hope I'll finally get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Have you tried Alton Brown's recipe for making cinnamon rolls? I think I'll give Renee's recipe a try although I tried two of her recipes and I honestly wasn't very impressed with them, but then again, good food is pretty much a personal taste!

    ReplyDelete
  24. the icing looks odd, like it separated when it was applied while the rolls were hot

    ReplyDelete