Monday, June 22, 2009

Yes, It Truly Is Magic.

Romeo & Juliet.
Mr. & Mrs. Potato Head.
Cookies & Milk. 
Peanut Butter & Chocolate. 

Some things are just meant to be together...



These cupcakes were... wow. The chocolate cake was incredibly moist, as I like it and perfectly chocolaty, as I like it. And paired with this peanut butter buttercream? What a hit out of the ball park and into another universe! 


Black Magic Cake
Yields: 24 cupcakes
Recipe from Milk and Honey Cafe, which can be found here.

2 cup sugar
1 3/4 cups of flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk  or "sour" milk (1 tbsn. white vinegar + milk to make 1 cup)
1 cup strong coffee or 2 tsp. instant coffee + 1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 F and line a cupcake pan with liners, set aside. Sift together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add the eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil, and vanilla, then beat on medium speed for 2 minutes until well combined. Pour into the prepared pans about 2/3 full and bake for 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting. 



Peanut Buttercream Frosting
Yields: enough to generally frost 12 cupcakes
Recipe from The Boastful Baker, which can be found here.

1/4 cup margarine, softened
2 tbsn. shortening
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1 tbsn. molasses
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 - 2 tbsn. soy milk

Cream together the margaring and shortening at medium speed until smooth. Add the peanut butter, molasses and vanilla, beat until smooth about 2 - 3 minutes. Beat in the powdered sugar (mixture will be very stiff). Slowly add the soy milk, beating continuously until frosting is pale tan and very fluffy. If it is too thick or too thin, add more soy milk or powdered sugar until the right consistency is achieved. 


9 comments:

  1. oh sure these cuties have cast a spell on me...m off to my kitchen.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am making cupcakes this weekend for an event, and rather than just offer chocolate with buttercream or butter cake with chocolate ganache, I think I'll throw a selection of these in, too. Or maybe I'll save them all for myself! :)

    I found you on TasteSpotting and am writing to say that if you have any photos that aren’t accepted there, I’d love to publish them. Visit my new site (below), it’s a lot of fun! I hope you will consider it.

    Best,
    Casey
    Editor
    www.tastestopping.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. the cake is AWESOME isn't it?
    and it stays so moist too. doesn't get dry. mmmm!

    i must must try the peanut butter buttercream. for some reason i've always felt a bit reluctant to use peanut butter for buttercream.. just cuz i feel like it'd be so heavy and too thick. but you've convinced me!! i must try it soon!

    adorable photos, by the way! love it :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm

    just noticed that you referred to JOY THE BAKER in the recipe.. but it's actually the BOASTFUL BAKER. hehe.

    it gets confusing. i know. heh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the combination too. Sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like either PB or chocolate on its own but together something magical happens.

    They look great though I would reverse the flavors. PB cuppy & chocolate frosting! :)
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you substitute 2 % milk for the soy?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep definitely! Whatever you have on hand should probably work fine, such as fat free, 2%, whole, soy or even creamer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The chocolate cupcake s are amazing!!! Rich and delicious chocolate flavor, I like my cupcake super moist, so I added 1/4 cup of chocolate pudding mix and they turned out wonderful!!! I've made it 3x already!

    ReplyDelete