Sunday, April 17, 2011

Simple Things {Los Angeles, CA}


Simple Things has got it right. In reality, it doesn't take a lot of things to make a person happy, we just tend to overcomplicate, stress and pick at things that should have been left alone from the beginning. Basically, Simple Things is a restaurant that serves sandwiches and pie. Their motto in fact is: Sandwich. Pie. Done. It love it!



So, that's what we did for lunch. Sandwiches + pies, and it was amazing! Above, my friend got the special sandwich of the day. It was pulled pork with some sort of cabbage slaw and if I remember correctly, some kind of chutney on an onion bread-roll thing. It was freaking amazing! Their sandwiches come with some house picked veggies which added some nice crunch factor.



I chose a soup + sandwich combo and opted for their soup of the day: split pea & mint alongside the avocado melt sandwich. Umm I died and went to sandwich heaven. Avocado melt sounds like it would be something familiar, but this definitely was not. It was filled with an apricot chutney, beautifully ripe avocado, roasted red peppers, fontina, melty manchego, and buttermilk bleu dressing all on buttery brioche...



I'm dying just writing about it. I wish I had it in my hand right now! But then it would be impossible to not get brioche crumbs all over my keyboard... sigh.

The split pea soup was so wonderfully presented, I almost didn't want to eat it. But of course, I ate it, and am glad I made that decision. It tasted like they had just made it and pureed it to order - that's how fresh it was. So hearty and good.




Root beer to wash it all down.


And of course... last but certainly not least... the pie. I know, pure gluttony! But how could we not get the pie? It was just so adorable and it kept leering at us from it's gorgeous little display case. We chose the banana cream pie and cherry pie. Obviously, from the first picture of the post, we devoured the banana cream pie. The crust was by far the best part - a bit nutty, loose and had this praline-caramelized taste to it. It was ridiculously good.

The cherry was good, but nothing I'd get again. It was simple, but not sweet enough for me. But anything put next to a good custard will always lose in my book!






6 comments:

  1. Yum! All of that food looks equally delicious. The decoration on the soup is really cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my god. INCREDIBLE!!!! i need to go here.

    xx
    www.dragonnfruit.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really love to eat.. and its looks like yummy hmmmmm.... i want to eat that ....

    Website design Los Angeles

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks AMAZING. I love restaurants that just do a few things, but do them reallllly well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you haven't yet, check out Four Leaf Cafe down Colorado Blvd in Eaglerock. It's my new favorite place. So fresh because they base their menu on what's in season. Great blog by the way. I love stumbling across great locally based blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've eaten here four times this week. Can't stop eating the sweet potato sandwich. Also, the Tortoise Pie is amazing...thick gooey caramel with a layer of dark chocolate...on a pretzel crust. No turning back...

    ReplyDelete